Pinhole leaks in Poly tubing

Users who are viewing this thread

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
In 2009 I installed whole-house RO with the RO system in the guest bath. I used 1/2" "clear" poly to run up to the attic and over to the master bath. About a week ago, after some serious rain we began to see ceiling wetness in the bedroom adjacent to the master bath. Of course I thought it was rain so contracted a roofer to replace the 34 year old tile roof. The curious thing was the ceiling wetness continued to spread after the rain stopped. Suspecting a possible plumbing, the roofer finally went up into the attic and discovered a spray from the 1/2" poly up into the rafters! He took a video. We immediately shut of the RO tank an the dripping from the ceiling has stopped.

I now have my long-time RO maintenance guy on board to replace the poly. He likes black poly, but I don't because I tend to think it's no better at resisting pinhole leaks than the clear stuff. Also, I've read that PEX is supposed to be better in that respect. He agreed to do it with PEX but said it will take him longer because it's a bigger diameter so he'd have to enlarge all the holes through partition cap boards etc.

And then there's the matter of some water districts switching from Chlorine to Chloramine for health reasons. I've read that Chloramine is more likely cause pinhole leaks. I don't know if that's an issue for my water district, Yorba Linda Water District.

I haven't been able to find much discussion of the "pinhole leak issue" in the Forum.

Any thoughts?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm 100% certain that poly pipe was and is not allowed for use inside of a building structure

There are a few posts about leaks in PEX.. most notably this thread.

I've been installing PEX since before it was introduced in the 90's and I've never seen a failure like anyone has described.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks