PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think I may have posted these before but here they are again.

You can clearly see the ledge created by the crimp fitting.

The Expanded fitting has much less of a ledge and a smoother transition.

Actual inside diameter of the crimp fitting is .312

The diameter of the Expanded fitting is .325

Not much of a difference there

1/2" copper fitting .575 A huge difference.

Attachments

• hot lead -plasma cam 013.jpg
    hot lead -plasma cam 013.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 375
  • hot lead -plasma cam 015.jpg
    hot lead -plasma cam 015.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 361

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I think I may have posted these before but here they are again.

You can clearly see the ledge created by the crimp fitting.

The Expanded fitting has much less of a ledge and a smoother transition.

Actual inside diameter of the crimp fitting is .312

The diameter of the Expanded fitting is .325

Not much of a difference there

1/2" copper fitting .575 A huge difference.

Thanks NH for the pictures ... very informative. The first shot caught my interest, that fitting doesn't appear to be either cast or machined but perhaps headed copper ... who's the mfg of it?

GranBossito

Reaction score
I'm gathering that the Wirsbo/Uponor works our less expensive because it can use engineered plastic (EP). This system is an "expansive" system. A "crimped" system will crush the EP fitting. The EP fittings are less expensive than the brass. So when you speak about the Wirsbo/Uponor being a better system, are you referring to the brass or EP or are both fittings equal?

GranBossito

Reaction score
How important is the fact that PEX is more restrictive than copper when all the supply lines are 3/8ths inch (three eights inch)? The water pressure comes from the street. Is that correct? The volume of water is related to the size of the pipe. Is that correct? So does it matter that PEX is more restrictive than copper because all the supply lines are 3/8ths inch?

The consensus on this board is that Zurn fittings are of low quality. Does that go for the tubing too?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you ran home runs to each fixture, it might not make a difference, but you need to size the supply lines appropriately to account for multiple things being on at the same time. Therefore, you need larger lines than the final couple of feet getting there. Also, there is friction from passing the fluid through the pipe...pex, because you usually have fewer fittings, is smoother, so there should be less friction. Copper by its nature tends to have more fittings, and then the corners are usually 90-degrees, too. This creates friction which decreases the total volume/time (flow) you can ultimately get. That being said, the total volume/time you can get out of a pex 1/2" may be similar to that you can get out of a copper 1/2" supply pipe, depending on how it is run (distance, # of fittings, etc.). The Uphonor system minimizes the restrictions caused by the fittings of the 'crimp' systems.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
How important is the fact that PEX is more restrictive than copper when all the supply lines are 3/8ths inch (three eights inch)? The water pressure comes from the street. Is that correct? The volume of water is related to the size of the pipe. Is that correct? So does it matter that PEX is more restrictive than copper because all the supply lines are 3/8ths inch?

The consensus on this board is that Zurn fittings are of low quality. Does that go for the tubing too?

this argument is crazy since most faucets have smaller inlets or outlets(volume controlled). it does not matter that pex is "restrictive". system should be designed appropriatly.

NickM

Reaction score
I don't think this has been answered yet (but asked), what are the opinions of the PEX tubing (zurn) that the big box stores sell?

Anyone have an opinion on Sharkbite fittings?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Lots of opinions on Sharkbites...that's what the search is for. Summary, expensive, work, plumber's prefer known long-term reliability of a sweated joint (obviously won't work with pex). Great for a temporary fix, and should be okay for a long-term one (haven't been around long enough to get feedback). Approved for in-wall, underground applications. While maybe a close call, Uphonor (Wirsbo) edges out the others with their expanding connection over crimping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks