PEX stubout advice

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Hi all. First some back ground. My house was built in 1993, and I've developed several pinholes over the last few years from low pH well water (otherwise, the water is excellent). I've added a neutralizer and have my pH now at 7.0, but of course, the horse is out of the barn.

The original sections of copper I haven't replaced are very thin, two or three turns around with a cutter and they're cut, so I'm ripping out my kitchen ceiling and replacing all the plumbing on the second floor with PEX.

I've researched everywhere including here (lurker) and have settled on PEX A by Uponor. I have the Milwaukee M12 expansion tool, pipe, fittings, etc. but haven't started because I'm trying to pin down the last few details before diving in.

Regarding the stubouts under the toilets, what's the best way to accomplish this? Even with a neutralizer I'd like to eliminate all copper behind enclosed walls as long as I'm going through with this, so I've seen people take the PEX right out of the walls and add valves directly. I'm not crazy about floppy PEX and would prefer a more substantial pipe to put the angle stops on. Instead of copper stubouts, can I use a drop ear and nipple to come out of the wall, or is the threaded aspect of the drop ear/nipple not a good idea. If it's OK, is a brass drop ear less susceptible to acidic water?

I have other questions but will start with this. Any insight greatly appreciated.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not sure how brass holds up to that, but it would be solid.
Maybe some from your part of the country that is familiar with those water conditions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks