PEX on Electric HWT

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Not sure of your local code, but I'd plumb in copper for a few feet at the very least before the transition to PEX. In my house, I used copper to the basement ceiling joists before going to PEX. Also, make sure you use a proper mixing valve off the HW source in copper before the transition.

John

Reach4

Reaction score
18 inches of corrugated copper or corrugated stainless connectors between the WH and the PEX would be a good idea, even if not required.

Also, some area will let you use PEX or CPVC for the T&P valve output, and others will not.

Tughillrzr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pretty sure our requirements is 18” as well. I stay away from ss flex lines .hard pipe it only. Had one line leak/ burst in an apt and tenant never said anything for a week. I think I hear water spraying in basement... 20k in damage later . Was Like a sauna down there

Reach4

Reaction score
ss flex lines
Let's distinguish corrugated stainless from braided stainless, which has a rubber tube inside.

Like "silicone", stainless connector line can mean various things. I tend to think of silicone grease, and you think of silicone sealant, and a cook thinks of a cooking mat, and a ....... thinks .. .;)

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see the need for it on an electric tank water heater. Is any part of the tank going to exceed the temperature of the water? If the PEX is rated to carry the water temperature, what's the problem?

UPC 604.13 prohibits PEX and PE from the first 18" attached to any water heater, without regard to water heater type. I looked for something similar in the IPC and the plumbing portion of the IRC. I didn't find anything, but I think I may have missed something.

Cheers, Wayne

Tughillrzr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let's distinguish corrugated stainless from braided stainless, which has a rubber tube inside.

Like "silicone", stainless connector line can mean various things. I tend to think of silicone grease, and you think of silicone sealant, and a cook thinks of a cooking mat, and a ....... thinks .. .;)
Yes braided ss lines

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I don't see the need for it on an electric tank water heater. Is any part of the tank going to exceed the temperature of the water?

I haven't seen it happen, but I've heard of a thermostat sticking and causing the pressure valve to open. A anti-scald mixing valve is a code requirement in my town even with an electric WH, perhaps for that reason.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks