PEX branch for bathroom vs. individual lines off main branch

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by EthylOH, Apr 17, 2016.

1. EthylOH

EthylOH Member

Hi all,

I'm about to run the PEX for my bathroom. I'm adapting from 1/2" copper main to a 3/4" PEX line.

Will it make any difference if I run a branch off the main for my bathroom versus individual line off the main for each fixture?

If I run a branch, I can get away with one set of shut-off valves for the whole bathroom (shower, tub, toilet, sink).

I've added a pic to show what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Individual uses more length pipe and may be more work. Many run a "manifold" with many outputs, and many of those manifolds have individual shut-off valves for each tap.

Individual will get hot water to come out of the shower sooner because the line has less cooled water to displace.

For shutoffs, you want a shutoff right at the toilet and normally for the lavatory faucets, even if you have individual shutoffs

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement