Basement Bathroom Addition Advice. Pex A or B?

Users who are viewing this thread

Don_P

Reaction score
We are in the process of putting in a bathroom in our basement. I have used this forum quite a bit and learned a ton of information along the way, so thank you!

Need advice on whether to go with Pex A or B? I have access to an expansion tool, if that makes a difference. I was going to go with a 3/4" trunk with 1/2" branches to each fixture.

The main is 3/4" coming into the house and our home has really good water pressure as well.The plumbing now is a mix of all different copper pipe sizes, that I intend to switch over to pex when doing the basement bathroom.It changes from 3/4" to1/2" to 3/8" back to 1/2" along the way as it runs to my kitchen sink, toilet, bathroom sink, soon to be my basement bathroom.

I'm afraid that using pex B I will have to much restriction from the fittings and might need to go to 1" pex?? Then distance from the main and water heater to the bathroom would be about 20 feet of line, tops, for both hot and cold.

Advice on best way to approach this? Thanks!

Also I know the water heater is a big no-no as the pex runs right into it. I will be correcting this and adding 18" of copper pipe with shutoff's before going to Pex

Don_P

Reaction score
From what I was able to find, the pex pipe that I purchased, is able to use expansion fittings.

My local big box store carries Sioux Chief PowerPex type B, which when used with an expansion tool, is allowed to be used with ASTM F1960 fittings. Sounds like if you use the manual expansion tool it creates stress and cracks on the pipe itself.

Seems to be the best route, getting expansion fittings along with Type B pipe?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Without disecting the wording or whether youve got the correct spec sheet it clearly tells you auto rotate expander must be used So if you can follow the spec Id go expansion Most likely

Don_P

Reaction score
Without disecting the wording or whether youve got the correct spec sheet it clearly tells you auto rotate expander must be used So if you can follow the spec Id go expansion Most likely
I have access to a milwaukee expanding tool. I believe I will switch out my crimp fittings and rings for the expanion versions.

Now instead of getting 3 3/4" x 1/2" Tee's, can I just get a 3 port 1/2" manifold and install it inline? 3/4" in and out with 3 1/2" ports coming off of it? It would be way fewer connections. This would be for my upstairs lav sink, toilet and refrigerator line. Longest run would be about 3 feet max.

Eman85

Reaction score
I don't understand your worry about loss of pressure/volume with PEX B. You already have PEX B on your water heater and you say all is good now. I'm not a plumber, just an old mechanic that can do plumbing. I'm more of a fan of a mechanical fixed joint than hoping the chemical composition of the plastic will hold everything together with it's supposed properties of expansion and contraction. Just me and my thinking.

Don_P

Reaction score
I don't understand your worry about loss of pressure/volume with PEX B. You already have PEX B on your water heater and you say all is good now. I'm not a plumber, just an old mechanic that can do plumbing. I'm more of a fan of a mechanical fixed joint than hoping the chemical composition of the plastic will hold everything together with it's supposed properties of expansion and contraction. Just me and my thinking.
Yes, I have about 2 feet of Pex on the incoming cold water line and about the same on the hot water line. Not really enough to effect anything in my opinion.

I was concerned over the longer runs, how pex B might effect loss of pressure or volume in regards to the internal fittings. I possibly wouldn't even notice, just wanted to see other thought or recommended.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks