P-Trap Fitting Properly???

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Kay

Reaction score
Hello. I'm installing a new pedestal sink. The waste pipe has a threaded end (see attached photo). I bought a chrome p-trap assembly and an adapter which fits over the threaded waste pipe. The tail pipe (as pictured) is smaller than the opening in the waste pipe. The adapter fits over the pipe going into the wall with the provided washer/gasket. The pipe going into the wall, while it seems water tight, is able to move back and forth into and out of the wall when pulled. I know this won't occur when the entire drain system is connected, but is it ok as is? Is it ok to have that movement prior to the entire p trap assembly being attached? Do I need a different assembly for a tighter fit? Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3054.jpg
    IMG_3054.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3055.jpg
    IMG_3055.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3056.jpg
    IMG_3056.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 182

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like
your "adapter" is really a reducing slip-joint nut. It needs a thick gasket under the nut, specifically a reducing washer to fit the trap wall tube. The gasket should
grip the wall tube when the nut is tightened down, and not let the wall tube slide in and out easily. You might need a better gasket.

Is there a reason your photos show the wall tube upside down?

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

Jason Kay

Reaction score
It looks like
your "adapter" is really a reducing slip-joint nut. It needs a thick gasket under the nut, specifically a reducing washer to fit the trap wall tube. The gasket should
grip the wall tube when the nut is tightened down, and not let the wall tube slide in and out easily. You might need a better gasket.

Thanks. No. Just rough fit. What type of gasket should I look for?

Jason Kay

Reaction score
It looks like

Sorry. Just looked. The washer the nut came with includes a reducing washer to use for a 1 1/4 “ wall tune, which is how I fit what’s in the pics. It’s just that the wall tub is able to move in and out with a little force. There’s no gap between the tune and washer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks