P-trap drain pipe leak

Users who are viewing this thread

paulmars

Reaction score
leak. see pic. the horiz drain pipe going into the wall after the trap in the bathroom is corroded on the bottom. It is corroded on the bottom and all the way thru the pipe up until about 1" from the wall. Closer to the wall, it is still corroded and fells thin on the bottom. It is only a matter of time before it corrodes thru. It is always wet in there. maybe kitchen sink draining water splashes past the common vertical drain pipe and gets the bath horiz wall pipe wet? I dont know and i dont want to call a plumber. Ive owned this house built in 1954 since 1986. This looks like original plumbing. I have done almost all my own plumbing repairs. This one too I have fixed, but it is a temporary patch and Im looking to get ideas how to permanently fix this w/o going into the wall.

Questions?

Ideas?

tks,
paul

Attachments

• bath sink drain.jpg
    bath sink drain.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 176

Reach4

Reaction score
I would open the wall. You may be able to open the wall only inside a vanity cabinet, and the closing the wall would not have to match the rest of the wall. I did that, and closed the wall with flooring forming the back of the cabinet. I am not a plumber or other pro.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The tubular metal drain fittings used under a sink have a limited lifespan, and the newer stuff is thinner than ever, which is why we use plastic more often these days.

Is there access from a basement or crawlspace below?

Without seeing your connection where it is leaking, it is hard to say how to best fix it. A couple of decent photos might be helpful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks