Open space requirements in a small bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Blue Bird

Reaction score
Can all appliances (toilet, shower, and sink) in a small bathroom share the same clear space? Can the 21" in front of my toilet and the 24" in front of my shower, and the open space to stand in front of my sink all be a common space?
See attached pictures where the round table is a 30" shower circle, the wall mounted toilet hangs off the yellow tape measure wall and the sink is to the right of the foot print of the person sitting on the crapper. The whole space is 48" X 80" .
This is a small residential remodel bathroom, not an ADA bathroom. Can the clear space be shared with no overlap whatsoever? I'm space and designed challenged. Thanks for your help?

Sean R

Attachments

• IMG_9582.JPG
    IMG_9582.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_9583.JPG
    IMG_9583.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 243

Blue Bird

Reaction score
Can all appliances (toilet, shower, and sink) in a small bathroom share the same clear space? Can the 21" in front of my toilet and the 24" in front of my shower, and the open space to stand in front of my sink all be a common space?
See attached pictures where the round table is a 30" shower circle, the wall mounted toilet hangs off the yellow tape measure wall and the sink is to the right of the foot print of the person sitting on the crapper. The whole space is 48" X 80" .
This is a small residential remodel bathroom, not an ADA bathroom. Can the clear space be shared with no overlap whatsoever? I'm space and designed challenged. Thanks for your help?

Sean R
Instead of saying "Can the clear space be shared with no overlap whatsoever?" I meant to say, Can the clear open space be shared by all 3 fixtures (sink shower and toilet) facing each other?

Reach4

Reaction score
I meant to say, Can the clear open space be shared by all 3 fixtures (sink shower and toilet) facing each other?

My sense is yes. I am not a plumber, but if overlapping was not allowed, I am confident I would have heard about it.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
The code requires 24” of clearance in front of your toilet, not 21”.

The latest 2016 California code cycle also requires 24” of clearance in front of your lavatory sink.

You are correct that this space requirement can be shared between fixtures. The line of reasoning is that while one person is sitting on the toilet there will not be a second individual in the same room trying to wash their hands.

Blue Bird

Reaction score
The code requires 24” of clearance in front of your toilet, not 21”.

The latest 2016 California code cycle also requires 24” of clearance in front of your lavatory sink.

You are correct that this space requirement can be shared between fixtures. The line of reasoning is that while one person is sitting on the toilet there will not be a second individual in the same room trying to wash their hands.
Thank you for your response. That was what I had assumed but it was hard to find a definative answer.
Thanks
Knuckles, pans and shovels.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks