Old school faucet repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Giantsean

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the process of replacing an old farmhouse sink (faucet probably circa 50's to 60's). The replacement that came w/ the used stainless sink is very leaky, and it didn't survive being pulled apart too well. Even the cheapest front mounts in the box stores start at 60 bucks and seem like junk, so I thought maybe it would be possible to rebuild the old school unit instead. I pulled it apart and it took it ok, only problem was a stuck screw at the end of the valve, which I'll deal with tomorrow.

Below is what I'm dealing with. From what I can tell all washers are beveled, and they are either some sort of plastic or REALLY old rubber. The spout washer feels like it will crumble any second. I paid attention to how it all fit together but wondering if anyone knows of any kits to rebuild this particular type - no idea what the brand is.

The other question is, the bottom of the spout looks like it should have some sort of seal, but all it has is a metal surface (unless that's some sort of washer stuck on it).

Appreciate any advice on the best way to tackle this, or if it looks too far gone, I can just replace. The thing has been in the family a long time though so if I can get this to work, it would be a nice tribute to my old man who liked to keep stuff working :)

Thanks!

20210630_185421.jpg
20210630_185427.jpg
20210630_185434.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Two parts that wear out. The stems (threads) wear down and the threads cut into the body also wear down. Replacing the stems generally will save the day. The other part is is the seat where the washers seats against. Since one of the stem seat washer is half gone, the stem base may have cut into the seat. There is a tool to cut the seats like new but it's hardly worth anymore to rebuild these faucets. It's best to get one through a restaurant supplier like https://www.webstaurantstore.com/. Most will be all chromed brass for commercial use and don't be surprised they are China made.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Replace it with a Chicago faucet /Central Brass / T & S and PF (if your looking for a cheap one)

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
This American Std and is a fairly easy faucet to repair. parts sheets are on page 4-54 and 4-55

http://kissler.com/OEM_PDF/Amstd_Sec4.pdf

It is easier to just replace the faucet as the finish is gone and some people do place a value on their time

Pfister

Pfirst Two-Handle Wall Mount Kitchen Faucet in Polished Chrome
SKU# 22145 | MODEL# G127-1000

Our Price: $97.00
Sale Price:$60.92
phister-22145-1.jpg

In Stock
Delivered to your door in 5 days or less.

Giantsean

Reaction score
Also many of the older accounts liked this model which is decent quality PF gives a lifetime free part replacement if needed

Central Brass 0048-UA 1.5 GPM Wall Mounted Kitchen Faucet with 6" Swivel Spout Soap Dish and Lever Handles Polished Chrome Faucet Kitchen Double
$94.19
Build.com

I actually wonder if this is the same model available at Big Orange under the Glacier Bay brand

The ONE thing I like about old stuff is lack of new stuff.. ie no flow restrictors in the mix. You're right though... the downside is even aside from time, gathering all the washers and parts may be close to the replacement price :(

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I actually wonder if this is the same model available at Big Orange under the Glacier Bay brand

The ONE thing I like about old stuff is lack of new stuff.. ie no flow restrictors in the mix. You're right though... the downside is even aside from time, gathering all the washers and parts may be close to the replacement price :(

If you go on E BAY there are a lot of venders selling all types of faucets and regarding the aerator it can be easily removed or the flow restrictor taken out.

Here a faucet brand new SKU# 22145 | MODEL# G127-1000 is $60 now think how much your time is worth

How much for the seats and spindles to fix something that looks like hell and the O rings and packing are brittle

If your lucky you can usually use the same conections from the back to the new faucet and to change out takes less then 10 minutes

Giantsean

Reaction score
I wanted the owner to have more than 1 option. Many homeowners are intemidated removing the unions from the exsisting galvanized nipples. Beware of the Glacier bay option.

GB is world-class crap for certain... the one nice thing about it is that they will send you parts for as long as they make them. I will swing by my local plumbing supply house tomorrow and see what makes the most sense. Thanks fellas... great advice here as always!

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mr Tee I agree.I put monel seats in a Gerber shower 30 years ago and it hasn't needed service since. As for Giantsean's kitchen faucet He can maintain an American made faucet and parts like his Dad would do. I would rather replace a bibb washer than a $40.00 import ceramic cartridge. The finish looks good for its age. Mainly soap residue. "oooo" steel wool will make it shine like new.

Giantsean

Reaction score
Finally went to the supply house and priced out parts. Everything including new seats will run about 35 bucks. Most of the metal washers are NLA but mine are in ok shape.

BTW how do you get those seats out of the body? Looks like a bit of a challenge lol

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are several types of seat wrenches available. Your seats were originally a square pattern. When you pick up your parts ask them for the matching seat wrench.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks