70 Year old Faucet - flat or beveled faucet washers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphysf

Reaction score
Hello

I have an American Standard faucets in my shower and also my tub. It is the tract line from the 1950s.

I am finally getting around the replacing the washers, while I am at it I am going to replace the washers in the wall / laundry - utility Repcal faucet in my garage that is most likely the same age.

Should I use flat or beveled washers?

I general what are the pros / cons and applications for flat and beveled washers.

Thanks

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The flat washers give the most seating area. If the seat has some pitting on the top surface a beveled washer normally will seat better for a temporary fix. New stems always are supplied with flat washers.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yep totaly agree always use flat unless there is a problem in which case try beveled. I at least inspect seats often they need replaced if pitted and not smooth

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It depends on the seat type.

I always used beveled washers, unless the stem did not move high enough to accomodate the beveled ones

I never seen a faucet come with beveled but will keep that in mind new seats and flat washers works great normally, So if a flat didnt work Id try beveled Which type requires a bevel ? I work on 70 year old stuff and dont know how they came when new

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Tub and shower faucets may have replacement seats. If any of the old washers were torn or worn down so metal to metal contact was made, the seat can be abrasive that will cut up a new washer.

Just an example:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks