Oil burner identfication/brand

Users who are viewing this thread

Amatuer repairman

Reaction score
This burner is the original installed about 1950 in NY and I'd like to replace the coil but don't know who manufactured the furnace. What should the high limit temperature be set to? If you have any idea or want to guess, I'm open to all suggestions.

Front burner.jpg
Oil burner .jpg

Full pic burner.jpg

Temp Guage boiler.jpg

Reaction score
It's probably possible to change the coil. Get yourself a drill and some extra drill bits for the bolts that break. Also get something to clean up the gasket sealing surface on the boiler.

If you can get a name and some info off the coil plate you may be able to find a replacement.

Other options would be to cap it off and get a stand alone DHW heater or replace the boiler.

I would bet that your boiling insulation has asbestos in it so don't disturb it and wear a respirator with a HEPA filter is you do.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Never seen a boiler that looks like yours call your oil provider ask if they service burners if they do take a pic into their office they might recognise it. Diversified Heat Exchanger is still a company and can make a coil. Boiler for heat and hot water?

Amatuer repairman

Reaction score
A few years ago I was told by a boiler pro who has worked on these for a few decades that it's not asbestos. Unfortunately the name tag has no info on it other than the name of company that made the coil. Memory is a bit vague but the pro may have told me many years ago the tank was made by GE. If it's not GE he may have said York.

A supply house said they could get the part custom made in NYC but ideally needs the name of the boiler. The other info he asked for was the dimensions of the plate which is 6" by 14" and the number of bolts - 12. One boiler guy said he wouldn't do it because the bolts break and the age of the boiler and the supply house parts guy said he doubts anyone would agree to do it because the bolts break, etc and the job could take an entire day.

I have a friend who knows an HVAC plumber and said he would replace the boiler. I'm not sure if he'd do the coil. What are the the things that could go wrong due to the boiler age that once it's ripped open the coil repair could not be done? Is it just broken bolts? Could a bolt break and damage the boiler so the bolt could not be replaced?

I might try to do the coil myself and have a few questions.

If I break a bolt how do I get it out? Those a big bolts. Are they screwed all the way through the steel or screwed into the body of the boiler? Is there a nut on the backside in the chamber?

What do I use to replace the gasket?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Plumbing supply houses should have red or black rubber gasket material also do a internet search for gasket material supplies or gasket maker. Ruff cut gasket material bolt holes can be made with a ball been hammer and another hammer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks