Ohio well water tests are in. Please recommend equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

GianniD

Reaction score
We had a well drilled while back ago that I posted about. The water was very cloudy and it would not clear up. We had the driller come back in and drill the well deeper and add more casing. We have pretty clear water now and think we can work with this. Please take a look at my tests and recommend a system. Looks like we have iron, hardness and minerals to deal with. The water does have some turbidity but looks pretty clear to me. This will be for a family of four. They will be using an RO system for drinking water. Recommendations please

Aluminum ND mg/L 0.2 EPA Secondary 0.1
Arsenic ND mg/L 0.010 EPA Primary 0.005
Barium ND mg/L 2 EPA Primary 0.30
Cadmium ND mg/L 0.005 EPA Primary 0.002
Calcium 59.3 mg/L -- 2.0
Chromium ND mg/L 0.1 EPA Primary 0.010
Copper ND mg/L 1.3 EPA Action Level 0.004
Iron 1.566 mg/L 0.3 EPA Secondary 0.020
Lead ND mg/L 0.015 EPA Action Level 0.002
Lithium 0.009 mg/L -- 0.001
Magnesium 11.38 mg/L -- 0.10
Manganese 0.142 mg/L 0.05 EPA Secondary 0.004
Mercury ND mg/L 0.002 EPA Primary 0.001
Nickel ND mg/L -- 0.020
Potassium 1.1 mg/L -- 1.0
Selenium ND mg/L 0.05 EPA Primary 0.020
Silica 11.9 mg/L -- 0.1
Silver ND mg/L 0.100 EPA Secondary 0.002
Sodium 5 mg/L -- 1
Strontium 0.096 mg/L -- 0.001
Uranium ND mg/L 0.030 EPA Primary 0.001
Zinc 0.008 mg/L 5 EPA Secondary 0.004

Physical Factors

Alkalinity (Total as CaCO3) 170 mg/L -- 20
Hardness 190 mg/L 100 NTL Internal 10
pH 7.2 pH Units 6.5 to 8.5 EPA Secondary
Total Dissolved Solids 210 mg/L 500 EPA Secondary 20
Status Contaminant Results Units National Standards Min. Detection Level

Page 2 of 3 4/10/2020 8:41:25 AM Product: Watercheck 1 & 2 Sample: 909690

Turbidity 19.0 NTU 1.0 EPA Action Level 0.1

Inorganic Analytes - Other

Bromide ND mg/L -- 0.5
Chloride ND mg/L 250 EPA Secondary 5.0
Fluoride ND mg/L 4.0 EPA Primary 0.5
Nitrate as N ND mg/L 10 EPA Primary 0.5
Nitrite as N ND mg/L 1 EPA Primary 0.5
Ortho Phosphate ND mg/L -- 2.0
Sulfate 20.0 mg/L 250 EPA Secondary 5.0

Reach4

Reaction score
Your problems IMO are manganese, iron, and hardness, in that order. A softener with 1.5 cuft of resin in a 10x54 inch tank could do the job with some extra cleaning and additive to the brine tank. It would regen about every 7 days. Additive could be Iron Out or citric acid, which smells better.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would lean toward a dedicated iron reduction system on this one, but a softener alone would work if money were tight. Fortunately the pH is low enough that the resin should be relatively easy to clean with a chemical acid injection system in the brine tank like you stated above. If the budget is reasonable, then get both. The iron reduction system will also reduce sediment down to the 3-5 micron range eliminating the need for any sediment filtration.

GianniD

Reaction score
A vendor here suggested a Katalox filter with an AIO clack head along with a water softener. Customer is concerned about the maintenance of the AIO system. He read that the head will need to be disassembled and cleaned every 6 months or so. Then you have two units, the water softener and the Katalox filter to maintain. The single water softener may be what he's leaning towards if it'll do the job. I've never seen these chemical acid injection systems. Where can they be found? They inject read out or citric acid? I'm sure they want something automatic where they don't need to manually add something every regen cycle.

Other thing I've been reading about is a water softener with two different types of resins. Regular resin for water softening and maybe a Katalox for the iron/manganese removal. ANyone ever see or work with one of these? Seems like it would be nice to just have one unit in the house versus two.

Reach4

Reaction score
The single water softener may be what he's leaning towards if it'll do the job. I've never seen these chemical acid injection systems. Where can they be found? They inject read out or citric acid?
Res-UP and Res Care feeders use a wick to meter an acid solution into the brine tank.

I think their acid is mostly phosphoric.

https://proproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/Pro-ResCare-EN-OSHA-GHS-SDS-2019-07-19.pdf

http://www.clackcorp.com/downloads/chemical_solution_tanks_and_feeders/res-up_feeders_1677.pdf

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
AIO systems and iron will need maintenance as will any iron reduction system. The real problem with AIO designs is when people use them on high levels of iron. I tend to limit recommending AIO below 5 PPM. When you see the pictures of the equipment all fouled up with iron it is usually someone trying to do AIO on 15-30 PPM. It can work but it will make a mess. Once we get to these levels we lean more on oxidant injection and precipitation (gravity/contact tanks) for reasonable maintenance. Iron makes a mess. You certainly could do softening only, the acid drip systems are neat but you will be changing the liquid chemical buckets regularly. We usually recommend the DIY types to use a simple food grade citric acid. If they overdose, the water can be "tangy" but since it is food grade citric acid, it tends to be less dangerous than other acids. The pH is marginal for softening, lower is better since the iron tends to stay in the ferrous state at lower pH, a simple Big Blue before and/or after the softener would not be a bad idea. Be sure to incorporate a bypass around the filtration.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks