Odor in bathrooms ... please advise - soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
wow. Closeups showing a fuzz layer on a furnace. What a concept! And the air quality won't meet IAQ standards ever.

In cold climates, people who want to keep as much of the stored energy in warm moist air as possible before expelling it into the great outdoors, should know about whole-house Heat Recovery Ventilator Air Echangers. A unit costs less than $1000. I've not yet seen any discussion on whether these perform so well as to eliminate the need for bathroom shower ventilation.

David

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While you would probably be hard pressed to achieve the proper concentration - airborne fibers can explode. Same thing can happen with any organic compound that is airborne (wheat dust, flour, coal dust, etc.). Plus, the small fibers can cause serious lung desease if inhaled over a long period of time. It used to be a big problem in fabric mills until OSHA set some standards in the USA. The moisture into a damp basement can create its own problems, depending on the frequency and duration of use.

Kavita

Reaction score
approval received

hi david, shawn and everyone,

first, thank you for all your help and support. i was really feeling nuts (and sick) and i appreciate your clarity and direction.

the landlord just gave me his approval for the repairs. yes, i had scheduled the plumber's visit already - but it's a relief to know the landlord won't dicker about payment.

as for the clothes dryer venting directly (without a filter of any sort) into the ever-fuzzier basement ... well, all i can figure is that second-home owners probably just don't have the time to tend to this kind of thing. don't know about you, but my life gets busy enough with just one dwelling to care for. if i ever have a second home, it'd likely be a hunting cabin with an outhouse and no electricity whatsoever.

anyway - let me see if i can get my hands on someone's camera, and i'll send along pics when chris (our plumber) makes the repairs.

phew. glad this chapter is drawing to a close.

kavita

Nate R

Reaction score
Did you get it fixed?

all i can figure is that second-home owners probably just don't have the time to tend to this kind of thing. don't know about you, but my life gets busy enough with just one dwelling to care for. if i ever have a second home, it'd likely be a hunting cabin with an outhouse and no electricity whatsoever

Don't cut anyone slack on something that SHOULD be fixed for decent living standards just because it's not their primary home. It's your primary home, and you will suffer the consequences.

Last house one of the landlords I work for had the same thing. Had a 3 pane basement window that had one pane broken, too. Replaced the broken pane with plywood and a dryer vent. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks