Oatey all purpose cement on CPVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Gtomike06

Reaction score
I had been waiting on a plumber for 2 months to rrplace the old galvanized pipe so the siding guys could get started on my house. I took off work last week and put the CPVC in the exterior walls with the siding removed. I used the Oatey all purpose cement in the red can since I was going to be messing with some PVC on the outside of the house as well.

Now that Im done and the siding guys have started closing up the walls I was reading around on the forum and saw alot of guys saying the all purpose is a big no no..... it's to late for me to remove the walls and have it all took out and I'd have to go in from the inside walls now how often does the all purpose fail? It's been over a week and I check every connection I can get to daily and everything seems to be holding fine.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is a problem, and I won't say for sure that there will be, it's because CPVC, PVC, and ABS are "glued' or "cemented" together. What's that you say? Here's a quick explanation. All three of these products are a type of plastic,but they're different chemically. Now about the connections. The joints are actually solvent welded and not glued. What happens is the joints are coated with the solvent (what you want to call glue) and that solvent melts the surfaces of the pipe and fitting and allows the joint to be made. Once joined, the two surfaces blend together and form a chemical bond or weld. In a few seconds, the joint is reasonable solid enough to stand some moderate movement, and in a few minutes it is basically permanent. Now, since there are three chemically different products, CPVC, PVC, and ABS, the solvents for each are different and not compatible with each other. So your all purpose cement is an effort to make one chemical product work on 3 chemically different materials. Will it work? Maybe. Will it be as good as the proper product? I doubt it. If it was just as good, why would there still make three different "glues".

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is a problem, and I won't say for sure that there will be, it's because CPVC, PVC, and ABS are "glued' or "cemented" together. What's that you say? Here's a quick explanation. All three of these products are a type of plastic,but they're different chemically. Now about the connections. The joints are actually solvent welded and not glued. What happens is the joints are coated with the solvent (what you want to call glue) and that solvent melts the surfaces of the pipe and fitting and allows the joint to be made. Once joined, the two surfaces blend together and form a chemical bond or weld. In a few seconds, the joint is reasonable solid enough to stand some moderate movement, and in a few minutes it is basically permanent. Now, since there are three chemically different products, CPVC, PVC, and ABS, the solvents for each are different and not compatible with each other. So your all purpose cement is an effort to make one chemical product work on 3 chemically different materials. Will it work? Maybe. Will it be as good as the proper product? I doubt it. If it was just as good, why would there still make three different "glues".

Gtomike06

Reaction score
Yea I agree.... the back wall is closed up already but the front isn't.... maybe I can take some time off and replace it at least and if I can get off tomorrow I can make get the plywood off the back to replace it..... man this sucks.... I try to leave it to the pros but I can't ever get em to show up....

Gtomike06

Reaction score
Why the concern? Because of freezing?

Well I did a little research and it didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling I was hoping for but everything said it was alright.... I called oatey and they said that it's fine for cpvc used for hot or cold as long as it's in a residential service. I also called a relative that's owns a plumbing company and he said he'd look into the glue and he called back and said it's not what they use but it says for cpvc on tge can and hes never had a issue with oatey products so he wouldn't see a problem with it as long as I used primer. Also on they're website it says "meets performance requirements of astm f-493."

I know I've used it before and never had an issue but I only lived in that house for another year or so aftwerards before we moved. Maybe I should call the new owners and see if anything burst.....

Gtomike06

Reaction score
Hopefully that never happens again.....with the global warming and all it shouldnt. it hasn't in my lifetime but I'm sure it will eventually. The walls are insulated and the pipe is under the insulation and all the siding and plywood so it has a pretty good barrier. Pex is the only pipe i can think of thats immune to freezing. I always leave a faucet dripping anytime it gets down into the 30s just to be safe.

Reach4

Reaction score
I always leave a faucet dripping anytime it gets down into the 30s just to be safe.
Overkill.

Since you started by saying the pipe was put on from the outside, it is now good to learn that the pipe is inside of the insulation. That should be good for 13F if the inside is heated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks