(Not so) square cuts on Uponor PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

RCbuilds

Reaction score
Hi All,

No matter what I do, it seems that my cuts on PEX-A seem to be just a little off square. I'm using the Milwaukee PEX cutting tool. It's pretty easy to tell when I slip the expansion ring over the end.

How crucial is it that the cuts on Uponor PEX are perfectly square? I've taken a few test joints apart and it seems as though a small fraction of an inch wouldn't make much difference in the joints being leakproof.

Thanks in advance for the help!

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
If you look at the F1960 fittings, the sealing surface ridge is about midway of the connector, so a slight non-square cut will move the pipe back about a mm tops unless the cut is really off, so there won't be a leak. That leaves the possibility of the connector being a mm short of full insertion for physical concerns. Put a gun to my head and I would guess the hose will never slide off the fitting if we're talking about it being a mm back.

If this were my project, I'd make sure the cut was square and the fitting was fully inserted right up to the hilt of the fitting.

But, why is the cut not square? I'm sure Milwaukee didn't make the cutter, but I would think they would vett the vendor to make sure the tool cuts square. I would try another cutter as they're cheap enough.

John

Reach4

Reaction score
milwaukee-pipe-tube-cutters-48-22-4202-40_145.jpg

The guide does not align the pex as well as it could, especially for smaller sizes. You have to align by eye. If it had been a V instead of a semicircle, it would have required less care.

They want to not have more than 1/32 inch gap between the end of the pex and the stop, and the ring and the stop. I have one easy-to-see joint over my softener that far exceeds that, and is doing fine. But it bothers me, and I will redo it at some point.

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like the rehau pex cutters. They have a sharp point that guides the blade I pretty much always get a good cut. Some of the others you have to work around the pipe and let is slowly eat into it then go the rest of the way. The Milwaukee are nice too
s-l400.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks