No water ! changed switch - motor running

Users who are viewing this thread

Verywellfl

Reaction score
History:
replaced old switch with a 40/60 (I don't know what the old one was). Pump didn't shut off and no pressure in the tank. I got a new pressure tank.
With new tank pump still didn't shut off - max. pressure was 56.
Installed 30/50 pressure switch with low pressure shut off. ...and now no pressure and no water at all! motor is running when holding low pressure switch down.

It's the 4th of July weekend..no company is open for business -it was 92 degrees
any advise is highly appreciated!

s
+-

Last edited:

Verywellfl

Reaction score
Same procedure when putting in 40/60 switch. Tank was pre-filled but now gauge shows 0. Must I " fill it" up to 28 ( by hand pump)? Sorry but I really don't have any idea about pumps etc.

Verywellfl

Reaction score
Thanks!
30/50 switch. Can hear the pump running. I am guessing an above ground jet pump? Is so, like was said, it needs to be primed.
Yes above ground pump. See and hear motor running. How do I prime? Sorry again for dumb questions

Verywellfl

Reaction score
I googled "priming a well pump"... I don't see the little "plug" on my pump..I guess I have to wait...I'm really not very handy..Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• pump-rotated-min.pdf
    560.2 KB · Views: 80

Verywellfl

Reaction score
You gonna have to post a picture or watch a video.
1656952778204.png

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If that red handled valve was on the top of the pipe that would be a good place to prime. Are there any other tees or fittings on the line that are not in the picture? If not that little plug on top of the pump will do, but will be hard to get much water through.

Verywellfl

Reaction score
If that red handled valve was on the top of the pipe that would be a good place to prime. Are there any other tees or fittings on the line that are not in the picture? If not that little plug on top of the pump will do, but will be hard to get much water through.
Sorry for the delay- had to take care of other issues...( my movie recommendation: "the money pit") ;) I hope you had a better 4th of July than I did!
Ex hubby handyman says he disconnected the hot water tank pipe and/or the one going to the washing machine. (Hot water tank is only for the washer). That's how he got the new 40/60 switch working - but pump didn't shut off. Since pump didn't shut off and pressure tank only went up to 56psi, I thought getting a 30/50 switch would solve the issue.
When he switched it, the one and only pipe running from the pump going into the shed for distribution, broke. He change the whole plumbing and put in the red handled shut off valve (outside). Inside the shed he raised the pipes up about a 1-2 feet. (before. they were running close to the floor.) Could raising the pipes effect the priming/where to prime?
thank you so much for your time

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Anyone could tell the PVC pipe is new, however if your X did do it, the primer(purple) was done very clean. Usually you’ll see drips everywhere. I would put back the 30/50 pressure switch since the pump cannot get to 60psi. Really the only way to prime is replace that elbow with a tee and plug.

Verywellfl

Reaction score
Anyone could tell the PVC pipe is new, however if your X did do it, the primer(purple) was done very clean. Usually you’ll see drips everywhere. I would put back the 30/50 pressure switch since the pump cannot get to 60psi. Really the only way to prime is replace that elbow with a tee and plug.
Thanks. Yes, his work. By now x put new pump in...but no changes. The closest shut off valve is inside about 5 feet away- see 3rd pic. He opens lower shut off valve (1st pic) for priming. Top one is closed (open in the pic only). Pump takes about 1 gallon of water. Suction pipe turns underground 90 degrees after about 2 feet going straight down.
X thinks well is dry....I'm not convinced but it's hard to convince him that plumbing needs adjustment. (He can fix nearly everything but is new to pumps/wells)
I cannot find the well...digging for days now. Metal detector is my last hope ..should come today..

verywellfl-01.jpg
verywellfl-02.jpg
verywellfl-03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider a new 5-inch well with a PVC casing.

With a 1/2 HP submersible pump, you will get all the water you need as long as the well can keep up. No priming required.

Yes, it is expensive, but it is an investment, unlike a lot of things that are sometimes called investments.

A less expensive thing is that you may be able to drive a well point. You would continue to use a suction pump. Professionals may do that in your area.

But if you are going to continue to try to find the well, if you cut into a horizontal pipe and push in an electrical snake, you can measure how long the pipe continues horizontally. That will add more info that may help you find the well.

Verywellfl

Reaction score
Consider a new 5-inch well with a PVC casing.

With a 1/2 HP submersible pump, you will get all the water you need as long as the well can keep up. No priming required.

Yes, it is expensive, but it is an investment, unlike a lot of things that are sometimes called investments.

A less expensive thing is that you may be able to drive a well point. You would continue to use a suction pump. Professionals may do that in your area.

But if you are going to continue to try to find the well, if you cut into a horizontal pipe and push in an electrical snake, you can measure how long the pipe continues horizontally. That will add more info that may help you find the well.
Thanks for your input! A well driller will look at it now...we kind of gave up...let's see what he suggests...

but I'll try the electrical snake....by know I really want to know where the well is...

Thanks again for your time!

Verywellfl

Reaction score
Well driller look at it. He tried to prime it- using his hand! He's in the business for 25 years and seemed to know what he's doing. I learned something. (He did say that a tee should be there and a metal pipe for the suction part)
Will get a new well

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Well driller look at it. He tried to prime it- using his hand! He's in the business for 25 years and seemed to know what he's doing. I learned something. (He did say that a tee should be there and a metal pipe for the suction part)
Will get a new well
Great. When it is up and running please tell us how1` deep the well had to be to hit water? And possible how deep the old well might be. Hydrostatic pressure should bring the water up to at least 25-20 feet below grade for a jet pump to work effectively. If the water level is below 32ft, a different pump will be needed. A pump with a jet portion down in the well with two pipes inside the casing or a submersible pump (preferred). I hope the well digger explained this. If not he must be confident the water table is good. The old well the may be a shadow well and the point has completely clogged up.

Thanks for the updates.

Verywellfl

Reaction score
Great. When it is up and running please tell us how1` deep the well had to be to hit water? And possible how deep the old well might be. Hydrostatic pressure should bring the water up to at least 25-20 feet below grade for a jet pump to work effectively. If the water level is below 32ft, a different pump will be needed. A pump with a jet portion down in the well with two pipes inside the casing or a submersible pump (preferred). I hope the well digger explained this. If not he must be confident the water table is good. The old well the may be a shadow well and the point has completely clogged up.

Thanks for the updates.
Thanks so much! I was wondering about the pump...manual states " max. lift 25'".

Well driller wants 2" well, 50' deep, saying the pump I have would work. He doesn't want to go deeper to avoid salt water. (intercostal is close by). After reading up on it all night, I'm not sure if the pump would work...and his price ($2,000).
Any input?

Old well: it's a mystery...well driller agrees, he couldn't find it either. He also thinks- like you mentioned - old well point is clogged up ( or that suction pipe is just sucking air- which my X doesn't believe)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks