No pressure in home with well

Users who are viewing this thread

Bernard1987

Reaction score
Hi so I have a well for my home. We had snow storm that froze our pipes. The water is running in our home but only for a few minutes. Then it stops,it's no longer cold out. Can you help me?

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a submersible pump.

Get a clamp-around ammeter and measure the current when you turn on power. What do you measure? Measuring current to the pump during those two minutes and after can give some clues. Pump could have failed. Could be something else.

In your pressure switch, what is the voltage between terminals 1 and 4?

what is the voltage between terminals 2 and 3?
index.php

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi so I have a well for my home. We had snow storm that froze our pipes. The water is running in our home but only for a few minutes. Then it stops,it's no longer cold out. Can you help me?

Please affirm that when it stops, does the pump stop or just the water flow?
Is it above ground pump or submersible?
Where is the pressure tank? Outside or inside. Did it freeze?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You need a clip around amp meter to see if the pump is still running. Sounds like it may have gotten hot pumping against frozen pipes and is now tripping the overload, which isn't good.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The pressure tank bladder may have broken. If there is a pressure gauge, what does it read with water flowing or no water flow?

Reach4

Reaction score
The pressure tank bladder may have broken. If there is a pressure gauge, what does it read with water flowing or no water flow?
I suspect that a pressure tank might reliably survive freezing. Since the big pressures only happen when the the expanding ice is contained, I am thinking that the captive air may be expected to limit the pressures in the tank.

But the idea that the pipe from the well could get frozen, and deadhead the pump long enough to do damage makes sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks