No pressure at hydrant

Users who are viewing this thread

Tyler Thomson

Reaction score
So I've been in my place for 4 years now and haven't had a problem until this spring. I've lost all pressure at my hydrant and can't even water my garden.

I'll detail my setup with as much info as possible. I have a drilled well that is pretty deep. I have a single line running into my place and once it enters my home it goes check valve, d square pressure switch, pressure tank, spindown filter, softner system. I have good pressure in my house still.

My hydrant is right ontop of my drilled well. Up until this spring I have had great pressure at it but now when I open the hydrant I get a couple spurts of air then water at a moderate pressure and it drops off to next to nothing within 30 seconds of being ran. If I watch my gauge inside the house after the check valve but before the switch I can watch it drop off to about 10-15 psi. I know the neck of that hydrant must have froze because I had no water at it early in the spring.

Where do I start diagnosing my problem? Is it the pump or simply a problem with the hydrant?

I'm totally new to this and only know as much as I've researched so assume I know nothing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reach4

Reaction score
If I watch my gauge inside the house after the check valve but before the switch I can watch it drop off to about 10-15 psi. I know the neck of that hydrant must have froze because I had no water at it early in the spring.
The hydrant may be connected before the check valve. The pressure switch would be after the check valve. So the pump does not turn on when the hydrant uses water.

If you have a submersible pump, the probable cure is to remove the above-ground check valve, or remove its guts.

If you have an above-ground pump, tell us about that.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the pressure switch is on the other side of a check valve the water will run at the well head for a few seconds and then stop until someone runs water in the house and the pressure switch turns the pump on again.

Tyler Thomson

Reaction score
The hydrant is connected directly to the pitiless adapter above the pump. It's a 240v pump with the pump controller before the house. I found the problem though. The line for the hydrant has burst about 2 feet down into the casing for my well. The problem I'm having now is pulling the pump and hydrant it seems to bee stuck. There is no safety rope or cable just the wires the piping for the hydrant and that's it so there shouldn't be a lock or anything.

Tyler Thomson

Reaction score
I've setup an a frame and come along and ama maintaining pressure on the stem hoping it will eventually come loose. Thank you to everyone who has tried to help

Tyler Thomson

Reaction score
I got a job to go do this morning but will post a picture when i get back. As for using the hydrant to pull the pump I'm not sure what other choice I have. If it breaks I'm fishing if I remove it I'm fishing. It is a vertical split info the pipe so it should retain the majority of its tensile strength. If the split traveled the circumference of the pipe I would be much more worried.

20 years in oil and gas dealing with pipe and my gut is telling me it will hold for the 8 feet I need to pull. Either way I don't have many options. I currently have water in my house so removing that hydrant and losing water to the house with the potential of not being able to engage the threads again on the fitting is a no go with a wife and 2 small children.

Thank you for your help and suggestions either way they are appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks