Users who are viewing this thread

mritterjr

Reaction score
I am remodeling our hall bathroom and replaced the plumbing in the same configuration it was in before, with the exception of adding shutoffs to the shower in the basement. I roughed-in the Delta Multi Choice shower valve, with tub spout, and everything in the new bath works fine upon testing it. However, after installing it all, there was a noticeable drop in hot water pressure in our master bath sink only (not shower) that existed whether the shutoff to hall bath was off or on. I wasn't entirely sure the two were related, though I had my suspicions.

That was a few weeks ago and I had turned off the supplies to the new bath to be safe during construction. Fast forward to this weekend and I turned the hot water supply back on on the hall bath. After doing so no hot water is getting to our master bath and the low pressure issues persists, only on the hot side, and only in our sink (pressure is fine in the shower, it just won't get hot).

Next, what struck me as most odd is the cold water lines going up to the rough-in valve in the hall bath are warm/hot past the shutoff (as if the water is mixing) and the hot water piping going over to our master is lukewarm. However, if I shut off the hot supply going into the hall bath from the basement, the hot water copper going over to our master goes IMMEDIATELY from cold to hot and hot water begins flowing again in the master.

What could be causing this? Did I plumb it backwards? Is this common with these valves and once I get the fixtures in it will stop? Do I need to make sure it's all correct before putting my walls back together? Could the drop in pressure be related to this? Could there be a blockage in our lines somewhere? There was also some intermittent banging when we had the kitchen faucet on hot, but that seems to have gone away.

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have not installed either the cartridge or the plug in the rough-in valve of the new work's shower, water will just flow from hot-cold, and mix, giving you problems throughout the home. Either install the cartridge, or the test plug (if yours came with one), and see if the problem goes away. You'll get the same result if you shut off the valves to the shower valve you added.

If that doesn't fix it, have to think a bit more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks