No GFI in any upstairs bathroom. House built in 2000

Users who are viewing this thread

Afjes

Reaction score
3 possible outcomes for this

#1 - Although the receptacles in the bathrooms are not actually GFCI receptacles does not mean they are not protected via GFCI receptacle upstream.
#2 - The receptacles may be protected by a GFCI circuit breaker instead of a receptacle.
#3 - No GFCI protection for upstairs bathroom - should add

A house built in 2000 should by code have GFCI receptacle protection in every bathroom. However as stated above the receptacle itself does not have to be a GFCI in order to have GFCI protection.

There are plug-in GFCI testers you can purchase. You plug it in to the receptacle, press the test button and if the receptacle is protected by GFCI the receptacle will go dead. At this point you will have to find the GFCI receptacle or breaker that is protecting this receptacle.

Very important - keep in mind that a receptacle does not have to be a GFCI receptacle in order to be GFCI protected. Plug a lamp into the receptacle in the upstairs bathroom. Now go and press the "test" and then "reset" button on every single GFCI receptacle in the house that you can find; yes, even the ones in the kitchen. When you press the "test" button on each GFCI receptacle check to see if the plug in lamp is still lit. If not then you found the GFCI receptacle that protects that bathroom receptacle.
If any of your circuit breakers has a test button on them it may be a GFCI breaker; so do the same with them.

Any receptacle that is GFCI protected that is not a GFCI receptacle itself should have had a sticker placed on it "GFCI protected" but not electricians do that.

I have found GFCI recptacles in basements that protect receptacles in bathrooms. Some people when wiring try to save money by reducing the # of GFCI receptacle they use and really cause avouch this way.

JamesE

Reaction score
Yeah the real trick is finding where the upstream GFCI device is located.

I always look at where the panel is, and try to figure out what the closest location a GFCI might have been located. Other bathrooms, outside, garage, basement...

With the cost & requirement of AFCI breakers today, I just make it an AFCI/GFCI an forgo the GFCI receptacle completely. That should make it easier on everyone, especially with 2023 code requirements.... ouch

Robert Gift

Reaction score
Thank you. I was going to make my own tester by grounding the small receptacle slot through a light bulb to the outlet ground.
First wanto try witheon (with the neon) tester to see if it allows enough currento ground topen the GFCI.
Then find the GFI which has its little light illuminated.
Shall keep searching.
The breaker box does not appear to have any GFI breakers.
Also, the labeling has faded making it difficulto knowhat circuit breakers go where.

Last edited:

Robert Gift

Reaction score
FOUND IT! (Behind Snoopy® doghouse bubble light nightlight.)
Powderoom GFCI outlet protects upstairs bathroom outlets.
Little light comes on when GFI is tripped.

Now to label the circuit breakers in the outside servicentrance box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks