Help With Auto Water Shut Offs

Users who are viewing this thread

Bowl Weevil

Reaction score
I have a well. My well and pump are about 50 feet from my house and at least 100 feet from my wifi router. The pipe supplying water comes from the pump and runs under my driveway to some unknown location where it enters the house.

I have two water heaters.

One is in a closet in my garage. It has a plastic ball supply valve on PVC pipes. It sits in a plastic pan. If there were a leak, the closet's concrete floor would flood. Then water would run down about a 4" step to the garage floor. Water would get on things like my tires and so on, but it could not do much harm before exiting to the driveway.

The other water heater is upstairs in a closet. It's in a plastic pan. It has copper pipes and what appears to be a brass gate supply valve, soldered in place. If there were a leak, water would fill the pan and then cause all sorts of damage.

I am interested in fixing things so the water will shut off if there is a leak in either water heater. It would be nice if I could shut the water off for the whole house, but the shut off would have to be outside by the pump, and I don't know whether it's possible to get something that will communicate with things in the house, which is far away. I think the water heaters are more likely than anything else to leak, so I am more concerned about them than sinks and toilets.

Can anyone recommend a solution? I see a product called the Econet Bulldog, and it looks interesting, but I don't know if it will work for a situation like mine. Looks like it will only work for ball valves. My main supply and the supply to the upstairs water heater are gate valves.

The house was built in 2000. The construction is above average.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
I've installed a few Moen Flo units. People seem to like them. Haven't had any call backs.

Bowl Weevil

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It looks like that will not work. It has to be installed after the shut off valve. My water pipe goes underground after the valve.

If I could figure out where the pipe enters the house, maybe I could make it work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks