No-caulk shower drain - can the rubber gasket be cut to reduce height?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rogeryen

Reaction score
As stated, just finished installing the acrylic shower base on mortar base, and the drain end is just slightly higher than intended (still fairly level though) but the rubber slip gasket now seats maybe 1/8” higher than the ABS pipe, exposing the inner cavity of the gasket.

Will that be a problem as there will be a small amount of water pooling in that cavity (in between the two inner “rings”)? Or is it safe to cut the rubber gasket from the bottom to reduce its height?

Attachments

• 0B80823A-22DE-41E1-A56A-E32264750950.jpeg
    0B80823A-22DE-41E1-A56A-E32264750950.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 163

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The rubber should compress when you tighten the ring. Even if it stays proud of the pipe, it would not create any problem

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
KUDOS for using a brass shower drain!!!!!
If over a crawl space, then fine with that one bead on the gasket. If over finished space, that would be a higher standard I'd prefer to see that final inner bead of rubber doing its job. no time to look up if I use "its" or it's correctly.

Rogeryen

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comment. It irks me knowing that there’s water that’s pooling but now I feel better :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks