Newly repaired toilet fills inconsistently

Users who are viewing this thread

W Che

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I just replaced the fill valve, overflow and flapper on my toilet and ran into some issues when testing the flush. When flushing the toilet it will usually fill to the fill shutoff level and function normally, stopping the flow of water. But for maybe one in four flushes, the toilet will continue to fill past the normal level, but at a much slower rate while making a slight hissing noise, and will not stop until I flush the toilet again. Sometimes this occurs twice in a row. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions, thanks for your time and help!

Can provide photos if needed.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is your water pressure?

My first thought is that the fill valve is defective, but it's worth checking the water pressure. To check water pressure, use a garden hose thread pressure gauge.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reach 4 good advice another issue can be debris , the act of removing supply line closing anglestop etc can break some crud loose so flushing out the new valve might fix it as well

W Che

Reaction score
Hi folks thanks for the advice. I checked my water pressure and it clocked in at 40 psi. Not sure if that is abnormal or not. But the issue seems to have resolved itself with more use. Cheers!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
a bit low but shouldnt hinder normal operation. very common to get a little debris in to the valve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks