New York - Connecting Washing machine to Kitchen sink - Is Permit Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

priya1

Reaction score
Hello all,

I live in NYC and own a 2 family. I wanted to buy a portable washer and connect it to my kitchen sink.

1. Splitting the kitchen drain under the sink. (No changes inside the wall) The drain pipe will be split one going as normal to the sink and creating another that will be a standpipe for the washing machine to hookup to.

2. Split the cold line that currently going to the faucet. No hot water.

I am unable to put a full washer and portable is enough for me. No dryer will be installed.

Would this need a permit?

I was not sure since i was not touching anything behind the wall or moving any fixture.

Attachments

• washing.gif
    washing.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 625

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You wouldn't have any code issue if you drain it into the sink. You may have an operational and code issue if you drain it into a standpipe. A typical WM requires a 2" drain and trap. Your kitchen sink may not have that. Draining into the sink means you'll have the volume of the sink to aid in containing the drain water in case it cannot keep up with the outlet of the WM.

Depending on how fussy the inspectors are, any changes may require a permit. I do not know the specifics for your area. Some of the portables have an adapter that goes on the spout. There are dual outlet wall shutoffs that could be used if that works out easier than putting in a T.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks