New well - separating good water from bad

Users who are viewing this thread

diggity

Reaction score
I have a thread started over on the Softener forum and it was suggested that I cross-post it here because some of my questions relate to the well itself. (Original post is here: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ight-not-working-very-well.68427/#post-507744)

We recently had a new well drilled because our old one had unbelievable levels of iron. The new well is producing better water than the old one, but it's still not great. Here are the lab results on the old and new wells:

Old, New
Iron 132 mg/L, 18.27 mg/L
Manganese 4.7 mg/L, 2.2 mg/L
pH 5.32, 6.65
Hardness 792.7 mg/L, 951 mg/L

So the iron is down from 132 to 18. That's great, but 18 is still pretty high by most people's standards. My other thread concerns treating it, but I'd like to ask here about the structure of the well itself. The well guy said he encountered really nasty water from about 20' down to about 100.' My guess is that this is the same bad water as was in the old well (which was only around 150' deep total). He kept drilling through this lousy aquifer and found nothing else until he got to about 340' or so, at which point he encountered what seemed like better water.

He put casing down to 60.' I'm wondering if he should have cased further, since the lousy water is between 20-100,' but he may not have been able to know exactly how far to case down in all the turmoil of the drilling process (and he may have been trying to save us money, as casing is expensive).

The pump was put pretty much all the way at the bottom. Both the upper and lower aquifers produce a LOT of water, so I guess we're never at risk of running out, which is at least one good thing!

The question is, is there any way to determine if the 18 ppm of iron is coming from the upper aquifer and making its way down, or is the iron simply coming from the lower aquifer? If it's coming from the upper aquifer, then maybe there is some hope of isolating it. He proposed installing a Jazwell Seal at about 100 ft., which would hopefully isolate one aquifer from the other, but that would cost $2k, which is a lot of money to shell out with no guarantee that it would help. Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hind sight is always 20/20. If you had known this going in you could have put in about 150' of casing and cemented it in. Then when inside that casing and drilled on down to bottom. That way the top zone would be cemented off.

I don't think you can use a Jaswell seal unless it is in casing, you would need 100'+ of casing. And that casing would still need to be cemented off to keep water from going around the seal. And if you had 100'+ of casing cemented in, you shouldn't need the Jaswell seal.

Now if the well was cased all the way to the bottom you could use a couple of packers and test certain zones. But I don't know how you would do that in an uncased well.

Reach4

Reaction score
How do inflatable packers work out for something like this? How would that compare to a full-length PVC liner?

diggity

Reaction score
Thanks Valveman. He said that it's "too late" to add more casing, but I didn't force the issue, so I don't know if "too late" means that it's impossible or just a pain in the rear.

Reach4

Reaction score
An 8 inch casing, I presume, means that the hole that continues down is at least that big. That opens options, I think.

diggity

Reaction score
Yes, I believe it is 8" steel casing. I'm at work at the moment so I can't double check the diameter, but I'm pretty sure it's 8".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks