New well pump slightly too much pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

AZgunslinger

Reaction score
Last summer I replaced my well pump but the folks that sold me the pump underrated their pump.
My well makes 11 gpm and I was told the pump at the depth I placed it would do 8-9 gpm. It's not! The pump is doing about 10-11 gpm and after running around 5 minutes I start sucking air. It never goes dry but does get some air.
My well is drilled 306', stagnet lvl is 85 feet and my pump is sitting around 235 feet. 1" drop pipe.

So my question is should I replace the pump to a smaller pump or can I restrict it?

My well doesn't directly feed my house. It feeds a 1800 gallon holding tank and that tank then feeds my pressure tank and jet pump that feeds the house. I would only need to fill the holding tank once a week at most.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are not manually starting the pump, another option could be to shorten the tether on the float switch so that it only pumps about 2.5 minutes before shutting off again.

Still another possiblity is to use a device to shut the pump down for a while when the loss of water is detected. Cycle Sensor is one such device: https://cpkits.com/collections/cycle-sensor-pump-monitors

The Dole valve is cheaper than the monitor, or maybe run the water through 6 ft of 1/4 inch tubing at the end if you want to use something available locally. A valve would be a problem if it might get closed all of the way accidentally.

Last edited:

AZgunslinger

Reaction score
I manually turn my pump on to fill my tank.
If a put a Dole valve inline and restrict it down will it cause any extra strain on the motor that would cause it to over heat especially since it would be getting less flow through it to cool it?

Thank you guys for answering my questions!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks