New Well pump low pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

BillH1961

Reaction score
My well pump sits at 140’ deep.
Not sure the actual depth of the well, but it is an artesian well, I live half way up the mountain.
I replaced the pump, pressure tank and switch and added an automatic backwash filter.
The new pump is a zoeller 1/2hp, 12gpm, 2 wire, 230v.
I have an 86 gallon pressure tank. The well is 110’ from the house.
When I got it put in it only dribbled water out.
I lifted it up and down a few times and water came out.
I still don’t have the pressure I should from the pump. It takes 2-3 minutes to build pressure to the 60psi cutout.
Everything is new including the drop pipe.
Any ideas on why it’s not putting out more pressure?

Reach4

Reaction score
How much higher (altitude) is the pressure switch with respect to the well water surface?

What voltage do you measure across pressure switch terminals 1 and 4 ? If not about 230, what is the highest voltage you detect between pressure switch terminals?

BillH1961

Reaction score
How much higher (altitude) is the pressure switch with respect to the well water surface?

What voltage do you measure across pressure switch terminals 1 and 4 ? If not about 230, what is the highest voltage you detect between pressure switch terminals?
The pressure switch is about 3” above the well cap. Water is at the top of the well head and coming out of the overflow/drain pipe within a few minutes of the pump shutting off.
I have 230v. I also pulled one pump wire and have 120v on both so I know wires are good down to the pump and back.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the water pulls down deeper than 90' that pump will not be able to reach 60 PSI for shut off. If the water level stays higher than 80' your pressure is determined by the pressure switch and size of tank. If you want good strong constant pressure you will need to get rid of that 86 gallon tank (25 gallon draw) and the long time it takes between 60 and 40 PSI before the pump starts. Two minutes of run time would be about right for a 12 GPM pump and a 25 gallon draw tank. But that also means the pressure will be decreasing from 60 all the way to 40 for about the first 8 minutes of a 3 GPM shower as the 25 gallons in the big tank is used. With a 4.5 gallon size tank (1 gallon draw)the pressure drops quickly to 40, the pump is started, and you will have strong constant 50 PSI pressure from a CSV for as long as the shower is on.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have 230v. I also pulled one pump wire and have 120v on both so I know wires are good down to the pump and back.
Measure between terminals-- not each terminal to ground. Measure the voltage going to the pump. No need to pull a wire.

Valveman suspects your well recovers much slower than the gpm you are pumping out. That certainly would match your symptoms.

BillH1961

Reaction score
If the water pulls down deeper than 90' that pump will not be able to reach 60 PSI for shut off. If the water level stays higher than 80' your pressure is determined by the pressure switch and size of tank. If you want good strong constant pressure you will need to get rid of that 86 gallon tank (25 gallon draw) and the long time it takes between 60 and 40 PSI before the pump starts. Two minutes of run time would be about right for a 12 GPM pump and a 25 gallon draw tank. But that also means the pressure will be decreasing from 60 all the way to 40 for about the first 8 minutes of a 3 GPM shower as the 25 gallons in the big tank is used. With a 4.5 gallon size tank (1 gallon draw)the pressure drops quickly to 40, the pump is started, and you will have strong constant 50 PSI pressure from a CSV for as long as the shower is on.

I intend on ordering a csv.
The pump I replaced was a 1/2hp, 10gpm.
Not sure what size the pressure tank was because it’s buried, I’m guessing 40 gallon +-.
With it being an artesian well I have no idea where the water level is during drawdown in the well itself, the people we bought the house from left receipts behind, one was for the pump replacement 2 1/2 years ago.
The guy that did that told me the well produces 20gpm.

BillH1961

Reaction score
Measure between terminals-- not each terminal to ground. Measure the voltage going to the pump. No need to pull a wire.

Valveman suspects your well recovers much slower than the gpm you are pumping out. That certainly would match your symptoms.
I have the 230 between terminals, didn’t have any trouble last week before the other pump went out.

Reach4

Reaction score
I intend on ordering a csv.
The pump I replaced was a 1/2hp, 10gpm.
A 1/2 hp 12 gpm pump is not as strong as a 1/2hp, 10gpm pump, which in turn is not as strong as a 7 gpm 1/2 hp pump. Your new pump would not be strong enough for your well to use with a CSV, I think.

I assume the pressure tank is also at the wellhead.

Is there way for air to get into the well as water is pumped out?

Actually, 3 minutes to get to 60 psi with that tank is not really bad. If that were the only "symptom" then there would not be a problem.

BillH1961

Reaction score
A 1/2 hp 12 gpm pump is not as strong as a 1/2hp, 10gpm pump, which in turn is not as strong as a 7 gpm 1/2 hp pump. Your new pump would not be strong enough for your well to use with a CSV, I think.

Actually, 3 minutes to get to 60 psi with that tank is not really bad. If that were the only "symptom" then there would not be a problem.

yes the pressure tank is at the wellhead

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks