New Toto Supreme - tank draining water

Users who are viewing this thread

moto

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I just installed a brand new Toto Supreme in my upstairs bathroom. After installing it and flushing it a number of times, I patted myself on the back of a job well done. I went off and did some other chores around the house. As I walked by the bathroom I heard a hissing noise and found that the water level in the tank had gone down about an inch and water was sputtering out off the blue valve. I thought that the valve was faulty so I went back to the store where I purchased the toilet and they checked the inside of the valve and said that it looked fine but gave me a new Korky replacement valve. The guys at the store did ask about the water pressure at my house and said that if the water pressure was too high it could cause problems. I actually have really good water pressure at my house.

I went home and replaced the valve and flushed the toilet a few times. Everything seemed ok. I then sat and watched the water level in the tank slowly go down. As it reached a certain level the sputtering again began at the valve. I filled the tank manually back to the water level, the sputtering stopped and watched the bowl to see if water was slowly leaking into the bowl from the tank. I did not notice any water trickling in. But the water level in the tank did drop again. So I filled the tank up manually, turned off the water supply to see if the water pressure was causing an issue. Well, the water level in the tank has gone down about 3 inches with the water supply shut off.

My questions are:
1. Did I get ripped off when the guys at the toilet store gave me a Korky replacement part for my Toto part?
2. Could the water pressure in my house cause issues with my Toto toilet?
3. Where is the water going if it's leaving the tank but does not seem to be going into the toilet bowl?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Julie

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Water is leaving the tank, so the fill valve will keep refilling.
You don't replace a fill valve for doing it's job.

You do check the flapper to see why it's not holding water in the tank.
If the flapper is not holding the water in the tank, the easy fix would be to replace the flapper, or spray it with some Silicone.

If the flapper is good, and water is leaving the tank, then in a rare instance, you can loosen the two screws under the flapper, the ones that tighten the brass blocks that snug the flush valve to the tank, and lift it out. Don't loosen the screws so much that the brass blocks drop off into the bowl.

Check for smoothness around the 3" hole in the china. A little sandpaper is good here. Check the vinyl seal to make sure it's in good condition.
Then reassemble.

toto_854_flush_valve.jpg

Don't forget to keep the extra fill valve, it's always nice when they give you free stuff.

If you pour water into the bowl, it will keep draining.
The top bend of the trapway is like a dam holding the water in.
If you pour water in, it goes over the dam.
The water will never get higher than the dam, unless it's dammed downstream by beavers. Or toilet paper.

briggs_1.jpg

A Briggs bowl to show how high water can be.
Only as high as the top bend.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
High water pressure can overcome the valve's ability to fully shut off - overfilling the tank. The likely problem is either a defective flapper valve, too much slack in the chain to pull it open (it can catch underneat), or misalignment that is holding the flapper partially up. It's also possible that there is something caught underneath the lip of the flapper valve. If you rub your finger around the seat where the flapper valve sits, it should be smooth and level.

moto

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I will check the flapper. Will silicone grease work as well as the spray? What will this do to the flapper? I'm assuming I just put the silicone on the bottom of the rubber part of the flapper.

- julie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks