New toilet and shower drain route

Users who are viewing this thread

Markos

Reaction score
Hi Pros,

I need to glue this up but I am not super thrilled with the approach. I think I should wye my shower into the 3” toilet drain downstream of the toilet. I’ve read that in some areas this may not be up to code. I just don’t like it regardless. What are your thoughts?

Recorded a very short video:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So the middle 3" pipe going up is a vent all the way through to the roof, no drainage coming in? Is that just to comply with requirement for the total vent area through the roof? Because it serves no purpose for the WC or the shower.

As long as that bonus 3" vent is there, I think it's better to leave the shower draining through those horizontal pipes upstream of the WC, as the shower will wash those areas and keep any debris from accumulating.

Cheers, Wayne

Markos

Reaction score
So the middle 3" pipe going up is a vent all the way through to the roof, no drainage coming in? Is that just to comply with requirement for the total vent area through the roof? Because it serves no purpose for the WC or the shower.

As long as that bonus 3" vent is there, I think it's better to leave the shower draining through those horizontal pipes upstream of the WC, as the shower will wash those areas and keep any debris from accumulating.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks Wayne! I can leave as-is then. Agreed that it will help to wash the area clean. I have a clean out on the shower vent as well as the giant 3” vent. To answer your question, nothing drains into that middle 3” vent. It isn’t a straight shot up. I have it elbow over about 3” in the “attic” to land the vent where I wanted on the roof. I only needed another 2” hit my total vent area, but I went for it. I framed the shower wall that it runs through in 2x8 because it was dead space on the other side (behind the fridge) and it allowed me to get better coverage on the 3” pipe. The wall cavity is luxurious and makes plumbing and electrical absurdly easy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks