New three way switch and cable

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by nelsonba, Dec 6, 2007.

  1. nelsonba

    nelsonba Member

    Sep 28, 2005
    I need to relocate a three way switch. Here is a picture of the existing box I plan to tie into.

    1) Can I use a plastic box for the switch?

    2) Can I use NM 14/3 cable for this?

    3) If I use the NM 14/3 cable, what do I do with the ground? Do I ground the wire at the existing metal box to the box and ground the other side to the switch ground screw?

    4) This switch is at the end of the run. Do I code the white wire with black tape?


    Attached Files:

  2. 480sparky

    480sparky In the Trades

    Oct 8, 2007
    Electrical Contractor
    1. Yes
    2. Depends on the size of the breaker or fuse feeding this. If it is 15amps, then yes. If it's 20amp, then you need 12/3.
    3. You can get a clip or screw to tie the ground wire to the metal box, unless there is already ground wires present there. If so, you tie the ground to them. At the switch, just tie the bare wire to the green screw.
    4. Yes.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. frenchie

    frenchie Jack of all trades

    Dec 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY and Fire Island, NY

    Depends on where you are. Local codes might require BX (the armoured cable in your pic).


    Yes. And make sure the white is the constant, the black switched.
Similar Threads: three switch
Forum Title Date
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Wiring Three-Way Switch Jul 4, 2016
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Three Way Switches Light Dimmer Installation May 1, 2016
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Three way switch with integral pilot... exists? Dec 8, 2015
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog I'm a bonehead - three way switch help May 4, 2009
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog wiring a three way switch.... Jun 13, 2008

Share This Page