New sandpoint takes to long to fill pressure tank

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Paul Descoteaux, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:32 AM.

1. Paul Descoteaux

Paul Descoteaux New Member

Hi
    So I was getting a lot of junk im my filters so decided on changing my old point cuz its pretty old and figured the screens are messed up...
    So I drove a new point about 8 ft from the other one using the same size galvinized pipe 1 1/4 as the old one had
    I dug down 3 3ft from surface and drove the point 19 feet and have a little over 8 ft of water in the pipe (36inch standpoint)
    I have a convertable jet pump in basement with checkvalve on suction side of pump .....so i got it primed amd worked fine..filled up the pressure tank ...now its taking like 15 minutes to fill up compared to before was mayne 3minutes....
    I noticed the gauge on the pressure tank will fluctuate from 10 to 20 psi when the pump is running and water is being used
    Is my well not keeping up with my pump or can an air leak do this...
    I thought if i had a air leak my pump would loose its prime
    Any help would be appreciated

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

An air leak could do the time thing, I think, but it would also add air to the water.

You could put a vacuum gauge on the well side of the check valve, or maybe a gauge that measures both on the pump side. A 30"Hg-0-60 psi" gauge would probably be the better choice. Of course adding more stuff makes more joints to be careful to not let leak.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 2:23 PM
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Paul Descoteaux

Paul Descoteaux New Member

I have a gauge on the pump if that's what your saying..amd one on the pressure tank

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

That is not what I was saying. I was saying that a gauge on the intake (suction) line could tell you about the vacuum. A strong vacuum would indicate that the problem was that the water could not be readily drawn into the point, but the problem was not a vacuum leak.

When the pump is off, then the pump intake would see pressure, via the pump, from the pressure tank.

Few people have such a gauge.