New sandpoint takes to long to fill pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Descoteaux

Reaction score
Hi
So I was getting a lot of junk im my filters so decided on changing my old point cuz its pretty old and figured the screens are messed up...
So I drove a new point about 8 ft from the other one using the same size galvinized pipe 1 1/4 as the old one had
I dug down 3 3ft from surface and drove the point 19 feet and have a little over 8 ft of water in the pipe (36inch standpoint)
I have a convertable jet pump in basement with checkvalve on suction side of pump .....so i got it primed amd worked fine..filled up the pressure tank ...now its taking like 15 minutes to fill up compared to before was mayne 3minutes....
I noticed the gauge on the pressure tank will fluctuate from 10 to 20 psi when the pump is running and water is being used
Is my well not keeping up with my pump or can an air leak do this...
I thought if i had a air leak my pump would loose its prime
Any help would be appreciated

Reach4

Reaction score
Is my well not keeping up with my pump or can an air leak do this...
I thought if i had a air leak my pump would loose its prime
Any help would be appreciated
An air leak could do the time thing, I think, but it would also add air to the water.

You could put a vacuum gauge on the well side of the check valve, or maybe a gauge that measures both on the pump side. A 30"Hg-0-60 psi" gauge would probably be the better choice. Of course adding more stuff makes more joints to be careful to not let leak.
pem153-3.jpg
pfq791-3.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Descoteaux

Reaction score
An air leak could do the time thing, I think, but it would also add air to the water.

You could put a vacuum gauge on the well side of the check valve, or maybe a gauge that measures both on the pump side. A 30"Hg-0-60 psi" gauge would probably be the better choice. Of course adding more stuff makes more joints to be careful to not let leak.
pem153-3.jpg
I have a gauge on the pump if that's what your saying..amd one on the pressure tank

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a gauge on the pump if that's what your saying..amd one on the pressure tank
That is not what I was saying. I was saying that a gauge on the intake (suction) line could tell you about the vacuum. A strong vacuum would indicate that the problem was that the water could not be readily drawn into the point, but the problem was not a vacuum leak.

When the pump is off, then the pump intake would see pressure, via the pump, from the pressure tank.

Few people have such a gauge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks