New potable well system recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

aceinc

Reaction score
I am "designing" my new well system. I live in S. Florida and have a 180' well. The water contains Hydrogen Sulfide gas. Currently we off-gas using no pressure aeration tanks. A second pump takes the water from the aeration tanks and pressurizes it for use in my home.

The first area I would like to address are my pumps.

I currently have a 3/4 HP pump (non-submersible) to pull the water out of the ground. The well is only capable of approximately 2-3 GPM.

The pressure pump is 1.5 HP and pressurizes a relatively new 85 gallon pressure tank.

Both pumps are at least 10 years old but working well. My goal is 10-12 GPM at 60 PSI into the filter system. There are other considerations, however. One is energy efficiency and the other is energy surge. Being in S Florida we get the occasional hurricane that knocks out power. When running off of a generator the surge amperage when both pumps fire up at the same time is substantial and can cause issues.

So the questions in my mind include;
  1. Are my pumps sized correctly for the task?
  2. Are there any pumps which do not have the start surge of a traditional pump that will work in my environment? My swimming pool pump motor starts slowly with no surge, for example.
  3. What are the most energy efficient pumps available? (Within reason price wise)

Reach4

Reaction score
I currently have a 3/4 HP pump (non-submersible) to pull the water out of the ground. The well is only capable of approximately 2-3 GPM.
You have a well point with a single pipe between the pump and the well? That pump feeds a cistern or other atmospheric tank, and is controlled by a float switch. In a huricane, maybe you can remove the cover and the hurricane will top off your tank.

How do you know the well is only capable of approximately 2-3 GPM? Is that because you run out of water if you try to pump more?

The pressure pump is 1.5 HP and pressurizes a relatively new 85 gallon pressure tank.

A 1/2 HP 10 to 12 gpm horizontal submersible (with flow inducer sleeve) would serve as the pressure pump.
For minimum generator power starting requirements, you could use a 3-wire pump.

In the following chart, you would be using the first (0) row, because your water is at the surface.

index.php

aceinc

Reaction score
You have a well point with a single pipe between the pump and the well? That pump feeds a cistern or other atmospheric tank, and is controlled by a float switch. In a huricane, maybe you can remove the cover and the hurricane will top off your tank.

When the well was drilled ~20 years ago, I was told the flow rate would never be greater than 3 GPM. That is one reason for the 250 gallons of atmospheric tanks. It provides reserve so I do not run out of water. One tank has a spray bar. The problem isn't during the hurricane, it is after.

How do you know the well is only capable of approximately 2-3 GPM? Is that because you run out of water if you try to pump more?

Additionally, when I run water a long time to top off my pool for example, the pressure pump will drain the aeration tanks even though the aeration pump is constantly pumping.

A 1/2 HP 10 to 12 gpm horizontal submersible (with flow inducer sleeve) would serve as the pressure pump.
For minimum generator power starting requirements, you could use a 3-wire pump.

Interesting use of a submersible pump. Can you point me towards an example that would give a "how to" on using a submersible pump like this? Maybe a video of a small pump of this type being installed, or some mfr links.

Reach4

Reaction score
While your well pump is 3/4 HP, you could be using a 1/2 HP pump instead. That saves a little power. One thing you could do is to make sure that the two pumps don't run at the same time if the generator does not support both pumps starting simultaneously.

Interesting use of a submersible pump. Can you point me towards an example that would give a "how to" on using a submersible pump like this?
Start with the Pump and well forum: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/pumps-and-tanks-well-forum-blog-water-is-life.4/

Use the search box to search for submersible horizontal , or submersible cistern in that forum for starters. If you want more after that, lets us know... post that into the well and pump forum.

If your well runs dry at times, and you might not notice, there are devices that can monitor the pump current, and shut down the pump for a programmable time if you run out of water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks