New hot water faucet rusting out

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by greg_xyz_nj, Sep 24, 2020.

1. greg_xyz_nj

greg_xyz_nj New Member

Hello,
    I replaced the powder room sink faucets a few weeks ago and noticed some discoloration.
    It appears that the hot water faucet is rusting away.
    I have a water softener system installed and the cold water faucet seems ok.
    The only thing i did was connect the water supply lines to the new faucets.
    any ideas what is causing this?
    thanks for any insight/advice

Attached Files:

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Is it a steel washer? Are the water supply lines copper, plastic or a metal flex lines? The way the rust stains spread out, it just could be water getting under the escutcheons. Clean the sink top and put a bead of caulking on the edge of the escutcheons, press it down on the sink top and wipe away excess caulk. Why just the hot side?

I searched on "brass washers" and there are a lot of brass washers listed. You might want to replace these with brass.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. greg_xyz_nj

greg_xyz_nj New Member

Thanks for getting back to me.
    Water lines are copper. There is a shut off valve, from the valve i used new metal flex lines to the faucet. I took the escutcheon off of the cold side and the cold side has a little rust as well.

Attached Files:

5. breplum

breplum Member

Plumbing and heating contractor
    Faucets should never have steel washers in water contact areas.

6. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    The brass nut should not be tarnished that fast if it was a few weeks ago. The rusting washer seem to have an anodized coating that has deteriorated. It maybe an electrolysis going on, it way I asked what the water lines were made of. The top knurls for the handle also shows electrolysis (green). Its hard to believe it is all this in just a few weeks. This was a brand new faucet? What brand may I ask?