new gas hot water heater, gray specks that smear

Users who are viewing this thread

syd barrett

Reaction score
Had a new gas hot water heater installed today. Waited about an hour to check hot water in a bathroom sink. Seemed to take longer than normal. Then I noticed some small black specks swirling around. I assumed this was just some sort of sediment getting flushed out of the pipes, from the new installation. But when I took my hand to wipe them off the sink, they just smeared. I was expecting something gritty, like sand. I had to really bear down and scrub with my fingers. And then I noticed my fingertips had a layer of "gray grease" best I can describe it. Thought I'd just rinse it off with water, but it didn't budge. I had to get soap to wash it off my fingers.

Any idea what in the world could be the problem?? What is that stuff?? Some excess plumbing putty or something? I had the old heater 12-15 years and this never happened before, so it has to be related to today's installation. Thanks in advance if you can help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks