New Drake II Install, 330 Fill Valve Needs Manual Assist

Users who are viewing this thread

JimmyH

Reaction score
First I want to thank Terry and all on this forum. I've lurked a long time trying to decide which toilet was right for me and finally pulled the trigger on a Drake II 454CEFG, which translates to a 'universal' height elongated bowl with the tornado flush and the coated glaze that they used to call CEFIONTECT. The toilet and tank were made in the USA which surprised and delighted me.

I also have to thank Jamie Love for his excellent sticky post complete with photos, of how to install the toilet. Made it a lot easier. The install, by myself, and a neighbor who is also 70 years old, went well enough. Setting the thing down on the wax ring was a bit of a struggle, but seems to have been successful, as nothing is leaking. Getting the tank level and plumb was a pain in the caboose.

Assuring the '3 points of contact' required me to start, undo it, and start again on 3 separate tries. When I finally got it I'm a hair shy of one of the two forward points, but I'm not tightening it anymore, or redoing it, for fear of cracking the porcelain.

So I turned the feed line on and the thing was filling up very slowly. After awhile I fiddled with the fill valve, a 330, and it popped up and started filling at a normal rate. Upon flushing all was good but I had to manually manipulate the fill valve to get it up to fill speed again.

I also have to manually, obviously with the tank lid removed, manually manipulate the fill valve to shut the flow off. So do I have a bum 330 fill valve, or is there some adjustment, aside from the water level screw, that I can make to correct this ? The supply I purchased from is not open until Monday, so a change out on the valve will have to wait, if that is my only likely option.

Appreciate any help on this I can get.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you have a supply line with the flood prevention check valve. Some of those will shut down when you want to fill the tanks.
If the tank overfills, there may be a screw adjustment for that.

When snugging down the tank it helps to lean on it to help compress the rubber foam washer while tightening the tank bolts.
You will be even better on the next install. I hope you didn't forget to have that beer with the neighbor afterwards. :)

JimmyH

Reaction score
Do you have a supply line with the flood prevention check valve. Some of those will shut down when you want to fill the tanks.
If the tank overfills, there may be a screw adjustment for that.

When snugging down the tank it helps to lean on it to help compress the rubber foam washer while tightening the tank bolts.
You will be even better on the next install. I hope you didn't forget to have that beer with the neighbor afterwards. :)
Thanks for the reply Terry. I don't know if the supply line has a check valve, I don't think so. Just a standard line. I'll have to check with the plumbing supply I bought all of it from on Monday. They're closed on the weekend, and it is working well enough for me to do what I have to do. No beer, put the plug in the jug years ago, now strictly coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day/night. Smoked a nice pipe of tobacco afterwards though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks