New Bathroom Wiring Questions - Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

HiQ

Reaction score
So I realize that code states a new bathroom in Canada must be 12g 20amp. I also used to know that all lighting circuits in Canada had to be 14g 15amp.

Do we have the exception like in the NEC where if I run a new dedicated 12/2 20amp new bathroom circuit to a 20amp GFCI in the bathroom, I can then go downstream from that to run the fan and lights in the bathroom? Is that okay since the lights are technically on a 20amp circuit now?

Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Reading many other forums with this same question, the answer is no. A 20a/GFCI for outlets is one per bathroom. Lighting, heaters, vent fans, etc. must be from other circuits. Do note if the circuit for lights for the bathroom is also used in bedrooms or living areas, the circuit must be AFCI protected. In the USA, the NEC code for AFCI is for just about the entire home.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Not sure about Canada, but in the USA if you dedicate the 20A for a single bathroom it can run the light, fan, and other ancillary loads in the bathroom in addition to the code required receptacle next to the sink and any other receptacles..

If you share that 20A across bathrooms then it can only be for bathroom receptacles...you'll have to power the lights and vent fan from a different circuit.

Reactions: HiQ

HiQ

Reaction score
Not sure about Canada, but in the USA if you dedicate the 20A for a single bathroom it can run the light, fan, and other ancillary loads in the bathroom in addition to the code required receptacle next to the sink and any other receptacles..

If you share that 20A across bathrooms then it can only be for bathroom receptacles...you'll have to power the lights and vent fan from a different circuit.

Yeah that's what I was hoping the CEC allowed as well. Sadly, that is not the case. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks