Neutralizer bed turned to rock

Users who are viewing this thread

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Have been using the neutralizer for over 30 years, never a problem. When the bed gets low (calcite), would clean it out and refill.

This time, found my ph low so opened it up only to find it hard as a rock. Current bed has been there for probably close to 8 years. The unit is plumbed to reverse feed since installation, no flushing. As of about 4 months ago my water test indicated it was doing it's job.

Update to above. Found it is only the top 6 inches are so that has hardened, was able to drill through it and found the media below that to be gone.

Anyone with any thoughts?

Paul

Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
This is a known problem with up flow neutralizers.....when a traditional neutralizer backwashes it lifts and fluffs the media which helps to keep it from hardening. You could try to refill your unit and hope the calcite goes to the bottom through the hole you drilled; or buy a new unit and hope to get another 30 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks