Need to install emergency shut off switch for new boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
I had a boiler installed a few weeks ago, new house, did not having electricity installed then so the guys wired it up temporarily with an extension cord, power is now connected, but I can’t find any good info on line as to how to wire the switch upstairs, the cord right now runs into a box above the boiler, I believe it is called a firematic?
So should the wiring be to run first to the first floor switch and then to the boiler?

one other issue is, at some point I plan to divide the basement into two rooms, utilities in the back with the boiler and everything and a den in the front part, so there will be a wall and door going from the den into the utility, will I need a switch there , as well? I read that one is supposed to go outside the door to the room with the boiler, but I would want one upstairs anyway, I would prefer to set up the basement wall now and do both switches if I do need the second switch. A 3 way seems kind of odd, one person could turn it off in the cellar while someone else could turn it back on upstairs, kind of confusing, my town has no inspector so I don’t know local codes, this is Vermont

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
I had a boiler installed a few weeks ago, new house, did not having electricity installed then so the guys wired it up temporarily with an extension cord, power is now connected, but I can’t find any good info on line as to how to wire the switch upstairs, the cord right now runs into a box above the boiler, I believe it is called a firematic?
So should the wiring be to run first to the first floor switch and then to the boiler?

one other issue is, at some point I plan to divide the basement into two rooms, utilities in the back with the boiler and everything and a den in the front part, so there will be a wall and door going from the den into the utility, will I need a switch there , as well? I read that one is supposed to go outside the door to the room with the boiler, but I would want one upstairs anyway, I would prefer to set up the basement wall now and do both switches if I do need the second switch. A 3 way seems kind of odd, one person could turn it off in the cellar while someone else could turn it back on upstairs, kind of confusing, my town has no inspector so I don’t know local codes, this is Vermont

You wouldn't wire it as a three-way. You would wire all of them in series so that either the switch, or the firematic (which is another type of switch) can shut off the boiler.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks