need some suction line info for a Grundfos pump

Users who are viewing this thread

dslywalker

Reaction score
I'm running a 170' suction line to a
Its coming off a 2500 tank with 3' drop in elevation. Question is i would like to use flex due to cold weather right now and 30 joints glued in cold weather and buried in the dirt scares me.. Owner said the pump guy said to use 1" sch40 pvc..The pump intake is 1" and they already bought everything..This place is 2 hrs off the main road and i hate to go back for whatever reason once i'm done. I'm thinking more like 11/4 pipe but i know you guys on here are far better than me and been at it longer
Thanks Mike

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
30 joints is 600'. At 10 GPM flow 1: sch 40 will have 2.4 PSI loss per 100'. That would be 14 PSI loss if this was a discharge line. For a suction line that is too much restriction and could cause the pump to cavitate. 1 1/4 has almost no loss at 10 GPM and would be much better for a suction line. I would use 160# poly pipe as you can get it in 500' rolls, which would save a lot of connections. I think the poly is much more forgiving than PVC in a ditch, especially if there are any rocks.

Jet pump from cistern.jpg

dslywalker

Reaction score
30 joints is 600'. At 10 GPM flow 1: sch 40 will have 2.4 PSI loss per 100'. That would be 14 PSI loss if this was a discharge line. For a suction line that is too much restriction and could cause the pump to cavitate. 1 1/4 has almost no loss at 10 GPM and would be much better for a suction line. I would use 160# poly pipe as you can get it in 500' rolls, which would save a lot of connections. I think the poly is much more forgiving than PVC in a ditch, especially if there are any rocks.

View attachment 94505
actually there 10' sticks of 1" pvc and 170' suction run...So this poly pipe #160 is good for a 170' suction line?160 i presume is PSI? Back on the farm in Iowa we used a black flexible pipe like 1" for hydrants..Must be the same stuff..
If i lay 170' of 1 1/4" in a ditch it would be enough for a suction line?Could go 1 1/2" too. Can you give me the link to where you get it at Please. So, i don't get the wrong stuff.
You helped me with my last suction line. Seems like i can't find a job where the tank is close to the pump..
Anyway, bought a PK1 pump kit from you few years ago. Its been working good ever since..It had a 200' suction line

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah probably same pipe. Roll pipe with barb fittings and hose clamps. 125# would be enough, but 160# is much thicker and tolerates rocks and things better. Use extra long Brass barb fittings with two hose clamps, and tape over the hose clamps with electric tape. I just bought some at supplyhouse.com. They should give me a commission. Lol! And Thanks!!

dslywalker

Reaction score
Yeah probably same pipe. Roll pipe with barb fittings and hose clamps. 125# would be enough, but 160# is much thicker and tolerates rocks and things better. Use extra long Brass barb fittings with two hose clamps, and tape over the hose clamps with electric tape. I just bought some at supplyhouse.com. They should give me a commission. Lol! And Thanks!!
how hard is it to roll that poly out at 50 degrees. Probably going to have get a case of beer and wrestle it like a pet coon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks