Need some Fleck 7000 settings help

Users who are viewing this thread

reelmagic

Reaction score
I live on well water in Florida. We have sulfur water, no iron. A year or so ago I installed a chlorine injection system. Chlorine injection to contact tank to carbon filter to softner. My problem is with the softener. Its always worked ok, but never great. The water has never been real soft. But lately the problem is worse. After doing a lot of reading here I messed with some of my settings and its gotten better but I feel a little more tweaking could be needed. I don't have a hardness test currently but this if the info with hardness previously:

Home has 3 1/2 baths
Family of 5 - 3 adults, 2 teenagers
system - fleck 7000sxt 12x52 tank 64,000 grains
salt tank 18x40
BFLC .125
INJECTOR #00

Current settings:
DF gal
VT df2b
CT fd
C 48
H 25
RS cr
DO 14
RT 2:30
B1 7
BD 80
B2 4
RR 5
BF 42
FM t1.2

Previously my capacity was set at 64, BD was 60, and BF was around 25. So these new settings improved the feel of the water but I still suspect they could be better. I noticed with the new settings my brine tank appears too full, but that could be I added too much water after the new settings because there was very little brine prior to the last regen based on the old settings. Is it possible I also need a longer brine draw? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would run the unit through two regenerations. Also be sure to test the refill. Remove the brine line from the brine tank and put the unit into refill and time it to confirm it is refilling at 1/8 GPM. "feel" is not an accurate test, it is similar to kicking tires to see if they have the right amount of air, you need to get a test kit and see what the actual hardness is. Hach 5B or similar is needed. Not hardness test strips.

reelmagic

Reaction score
I would run the unit through two regenerations. Also be sure to test the refill. Remove the brine line from the brine tank and put the unit into refill and time it to confirm it is refilling at 1/8 GPM. "feel" is not an accurate test, it is similar to kicking tires to see if they have the right amount of air, you need to get a test kit and see what the actual hardness is. Hach 5B or similar is needed. Not hardness test strips.

So I got my Hach 5B today and tested my hardness. Tested the well water twice and got 25 grains per gallon both times. Test the water inside the house, 1st time got less than 1 gpg (1 drop), 2nd time it took 2 drops.

Also tested my Brine fill, it looks like the sticker on the head is wrong. Running it for 2 minutes got me 8 cups, or 1/2 gallon. Which would mean I have a BFLC of .250 NOT the .125 shown on the sticker.

So with that what are you thoughts on revising my settings? Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft : 8 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC : 0.25 ; Brine Refill rate GPM (EDITED)
cubic ft resin : 1.5 ; Same as (nominal grains/32,000)
Raw hardness : 25.0 ; from test
Estimated gal/day : 300.0 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days each regen : 4.0 ; presuming days each use reserve capacity
Fleck 7000SXT Settings:
= Gal ; Units
VT = dF2b ; Downflw/Upflw, Double Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
C = 36.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 30 ; Hardness grains after high hardness compensation
RS = cr ; Cr = base reserve on recent experience
DO = 14 ; Day Override (typ 28 if no iron/Mn)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
B1 = 8 ; Backwash 1 (minutes)
Bd = 95 ; Brine draw minutes Edited due to #00 injector
B2 = 5 ; Backwash 2 (minutes)
RR = 6 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 16 ; Brine fill minutes (EDITED)
FM = t1.2 (usual) ; t1.2 is default flow meter

Last edited:

reelmagic

Reaction score
Reach, my BFLC sticker say .125 BUT after measuring it, it’s actually flowing .250. Also my previous setting were very similar to what you suggested specifically the BD at 60 and I had hard water.

My system is a 64,000 grain wouldn’t that be 2 cu ft?

Reach4

Reaction score
Also my previous setting were very similar to what you suggested specifically the BD at 60 and I had hard water.
I had not taken into account the #00 injector. BD could reasonably be set at 110, but 95 should be sufficient. Until BD ends and the fast rinse occurs, the softener is in bypass.

The amount of salt drawn during the BD cycle is determined by the brine fill. After about 27 minutes, your brine will be all sucked out, and the air check valve shuts. The remaining BD time is considered the slow rinse, where the brine moves through slowly, does its job, and exits the tank. If BD is too low, the symptom is salt in the first water used after regen.

I made edits in my earlier post. The backwash times are not critical.

The main thing is that you will use a lot less salt for each regen, but the regeneration will be more frequent.

Last edited:

reelmagic

Reaction score
Reach, thank you so much for your input. The only think Im not understanding is the 36K setting. I looked back at my receipt from when I bought the equipment and it is listed as 64,000 grain 2.0 cu ft. I know I would not use 64K as the capacity, but wouldn't my capacity be 48K? And if that is correct would I need to up the BF to 21 minutes to achieve 5.25 gallons? I have read a lot of your previous posts so I believe I am understanding the math. Please let me know. Thank you.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Your softener does contain 2 ft3 of resin. As such, 8 lbs salt/ft3 (16 lbs total) will regenerate 48 K grains.

Here is a capacity chart showing programmable capacities when using various quantities of salt. View down the leftmost column to 2ft3 and scan across right for the capacity amounts. The applicable salt quantities are indicated at the top of each column whereas Hardness Removal Efficiency and water quality is indicated at the bottom of each column.

8 lbs/ft3 is the most common recommendation as it usually provides the best balance of efficiency, capacity and water quality.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/resin-chart-jpg.53316/

Bannerman

Reaction score
Because the incorrect BLFC was specified on the label, you may wish to also verify which injector is actually installed. The injector cap and filter screen maybe removed to view which injector color is installed.

In the capacity chart, you will see 40 lbs salt will be required to regenerate all 64K grains capacity, Ditttohead's advice to perform two regeneration back to back was to restore additional capacity above the 48K you will be regenerating regularly. Because your resin's capacity had been exhausted, any resin that is not regenerated, is not assisting to remove hardness from the water resulting in increased hardness leakage through the resin bed.

Somewhat similar to the fuel tank in a vehicle, start off with full tank, then top-up to full capacity each time fuel is obtained.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Let's try this for 2 cuft:

System info (not programmed)

salt lb/cuft : 8 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC : 0.25 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin : 2.0 ; Same as (nominal grains/32,000)
Raw hardness : 25.0 ; including iron etc
Estimated gal/day : 300.0 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days each regen : 5.3 ; presuming days each use reserve capacity

Fleck 7000SXT Settings:

DF= Gal ; Units
VT = dF2b ; Downflw/Upflw, Double Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
C = 48.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 30 ; Hardness grains after compensation
RS = cr ; Cr = base reserve on recent experience
CR = 0 ; 0 is default (leave it)
DO = 14 ; Day Override (typ 28 if no iron/Mn)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
B1 = 8 ; Backwash 1 (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
B2 = 5 ; Backwash 2 (minutes)
RR = 6 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 21 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = t1.2 (usual) ; t1.2 is default flow meter

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks