Need help with toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Neocontra14

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m in need of some advice. The lead shoulder is flush with the concrete floor. It is out of round. It is 4”.

I have a both a brass flange and a PVC flange (the PVC flange goes into the pipe about 2”).

I Would prefer to use the PVC flange and bolt it down to the concrete, but wasn’t sure how exactly to seal the flange to the concrete/lead, so I was thinking I could put either silicone or plumbers putty under the flange before I screw it in? Would that seal it well enough so that if the toilet ever backed up, it would back up into the toilet bowl and not out through the flange? I want to make sure I make a good seal.

Or plan b I could use the brass flange and try melting the lead myself (i would have to get more lead).

Unfortunately I’m not in a position right now to cover the cost of cutting up the slab and replacing the concrete and flooring to remove and replace the lead.

thanks for any advice and I am open to ideas and suggestions.

Attachments

• C244B667-C4EB-4DFE-91C2-48DFC16FB503.jpeg
    C244B667-C4EB-4DFE-91C2-48DFC16FB503.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 143

Neocontra14

Reaction score
Just to add.. if using a concrete mix or something similar between the pvc and the slab would work better long term, I could do that as well...

Reach4

Reaction score
You could use a repair ring with ears to hold the closet bolts. You could put the wax right on top of the lead you have.

PASCO 21013 and Superior 21015 are repair rings with mounting tabs outside (ears).

Danco Hydro Seat is like a repair ring with a tail. Use wax ring under.

Last edited:

Neocontra14

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.. I am not familiar with those, so any additional info or links or pics would be helpful. I’m googling now..

Neocontra14

Reaction score
The hydro seat is similar to the PVC I have now.. is using wax under it or the brass flange better than plumbers putty or silicone?

the reason I don’t want to use wax is the toilet is close to an electric heater. It melted the original wax seal.

I know... I know :/

Neocontra14

Reaction score
I was watching a video and do see now how the danco hydroseat is different.

If I used this it would be raised above the tile, I’m guessing that would be ok?

as far as alternatives to wax goes I do have plumbers putty handy, But not sure what other waxless solution would work that would form a tight seal to the concrete. I could use the wax if there is really no better option.. just worried about it melting again.

Reach4

Reaction score
If I used this it would be raised above the tile, I’m guessing that would be ok?
Yes. The feet on the finished floor is good.

as far as alternatives to wax goes I do have plumbers putty handy, But not sure what other waxless solution would work that would form a tight seal to the concrete. I could use the wax if there is really no better option.. just worried about it melting again.

Wax is top notch when it comes to seal against an irregular surface. However you could use some thing like

Korky 6000BP has pieces used according to depth needed.
https://www.korky.com/products/wax-free-gaskets/wax-free-toilet-seal-kit

Fluidmaster 7530 - BETTER THAN WAX™ Wax-Free Seal has pieces used according to depth needed.
https://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/toilet-seals/7530-better-than-wax-wax-free-seal/

Sani Seal http://saniseal.com/saniseal/

They are resilient, but wax can be formed to any shape if it is not in the shape you want out of the box. With wax cannot rebound. When putting it right under a toilet, that is a consideration. Under a rocking toilet, wax will leak. Under the HydroSeat, that should not be a problem with wax.

If you have to drill through ceramic floor tile, that is a little hard. If you have to drill through porcelain tile, that is a lot hard. In that case, you can maybe use some of the inner holes to hold the HydroSeat down rather than drilling under a leg.
next-by-danco-toilet-flanges-10672x-e1_145.jpg

With HydroSeat, you don't have slots to let you reposition the closet bolts. So be careful of the position.

That repair ring alternative has some merits too. But it leaves you with the need to be careful to not decompress the wax.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes. The feet on the finished floor is good.

Wax is top notch when it comes to seal against an irregular surface. However you could use some thing like

Korky 6000BP has pieces used according to depth needed.
https://www.korky.com/products/wax-free-gaskets/wax-free-toilet-seal-kit

Fluidmaster 7530 - BETTER THAN WAX™ Wax-Free Seal has pieces used according to depth needed.
https://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/toilet-seals/7530-better-than-wax-wax-free-seal/

Sani Seal http://saniseal.com/saniseal/

They are resilient, but wax can be formed to any shape if it is not in the shape you want out of the box. With wax cannot rebound. When putting it right under a toilet, that is a consideration. Under a rocking toilet, wax will leak. Under the HydroSeat, that should not be a problem with wax.

If you have to drill through ceramic floor tile, that is a little hard. If you have to drill through porcelain tile, that is a lot hard. In that case, you can maybe use some of the inner holes to hold the HydroSeat down rather than drilling under a leg.
next-by-danco-toilet-flanges-10672x-e1_145.jpg

With HydroSeat, you don't have slots to let you reposition the closet bolts. So be careful of the position.

That repair ring alternative has some merits too. But it leaves you with the need to be careful to not decompress the wax.
Reach 4, never heard of hydroseat. but looked at advertisement When you set w/c no wax goes down , the horn of bowl just seals on the rubber inside ring? I noticed the bolts are already installed is the blue metal tapped and standard brass w/c bolts screw in from bottom?

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach 4, never heard of hydroseat. but looked at advertisement When you set w/c no wax goes down , the horn of bowl just seals on the rubber inside ring? I noticed the bolts are already installed is the blue metal tapped and standard brass w/c bolts screw in from bottom?
That's how I see it. I had originally thought that you would put wax both below and above. But I see now that they don't intend that. I could see installing a small rope of wax on top anyway to be extra-sure.

Neocontra14

Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone...

I purchased the Danco Hydroseat as Reach4 advised, placing a wax ring between it and the floor. Secured it down by drilling holes and then using tapcon bolts into the slab. Got the toilet installed and everything is working great.

Thank you for the advice and for pointing me in a direction to a fix/product I would never have known existed otherwise. It was a huge help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks