Need help - mobile home shower drain removal

Users who are viewing this thread

harbaw

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to remove the existing leaky shower drain & re-plumb with better materials. The drain thru the shower floor is metal with rubber gaskets and a threaded tail below the floor. A weird plastic threaded trap threads onto the metal drain with rubber gaskets as well. I can't find a match for the trap so I'd like to redo the whole thing with more common materials.
Anyway, from under the floor, I can't get a tool up to the lock nut to release the drain up thru the shower. It's very cramped. A 1-7/8 deep socket (not sure of the nut size) almost works, but the nut is so thin it can't get a bite on the nut. What can I use to reach up to this dang thing? No way can I use common wrenches & reach it from the side.
Thanks for any help!

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
There are really deep plumber's wrenches available. They come in a set called "cowbells" -- intended for removing shower valves, I think, but they might work here if there's one big enough in the set. About $20 for the set.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score

Attachments

• Shower Drain Locknut.jpg
    Shower Drain Locknut.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 2,424
Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
George R said:
Can you get a dremel tool up there and just cut the locknut?

That's a great idea, cuz I think the tool I recommended is too large for his trailer-sized locknut. Dremel has this new 3 foot flex extender which would work well in limited space.

harbaw

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

The shower drain locknut tool is too large since I'm reaching updward into a tight space to reach the locknut below the floor.

The dremel idea may do the trick, didn't think of that.

I'd like to check out the cowbell set, but couldn't find anything by searching. Are there any links handy?

Mikey

Reaction score
Cowbells

They were described and pictured in this forum; here's a search result that will get you to that thread. If all else fails, take the picture to Lowe's and they'll show you the set. They are also sold individually. The more I think about it, the largest one in the set may not be large enough. Measure the nut and have that measurement with you when you go looking for wrenches.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8325&highlight=cowbells

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mikey,

You probably already know this, but you can right click on any picture used in this forum and then select "save as" from the dropdown menu. Then you can just attach the picture to your post like you would any other.

PS: I've found that even those cowbells don't always fit every plumbing nut or valve stem. And it is always in trailers (mobile homes) that I have found that they didn't work!:(

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
harbaw said:
Thanks for the replies!

The shower drain locknut tool is too large since I'm reaching updward into a tight space to reach the locknut below the floor.

The dremel idea may do the trick, didn't think of that.

I'd like to check out the cowbell set, but couldn't find anything by searching. Are there any links handy?

The handle on the locknut tool is made to bend to get out of the way. The reason it may be too large is because it is made to remove the "standard" 3 1/2" locknut and not the undersized beauty you are dealing with.

So, just cut the darned thing out if you can.

Mikey

Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
Mikey,

You probably already know this, but you can right click on any picture used in this forum and then select "save as" from the dropdown menu. Then you can just attach the picture to your post like you would any other.
Well, I know it now :D , thanks. I'm curious why I can't do the same thing with a local image. It seems the forum only accepts a url to an image, not a real image in the post?

harbaw

Reaction score
Yup, looks like I'll be going the ugly route & dremel cut the nut off. Once it's out, I'll have the guys at the local plumbing supply set me up with something easier to deal with. What a pain! Thanks for all the info though, at least I learned about some tools for future reference.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
If you're underneath the trailer, what is the restriction? Why is the space so cramped? If it's just some plywood or something, then cut out a bigger access hole for you to work in. You'll probably appreciate it during the install of the new drain, as well. Then you can seal up the hole once you are done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks