Need help installing a well pumping system

Users who are viewing this thread

Timothy Corcoran

Reaction score
Building a new home and the well has been drilled. Just a medium size home with 3br 2 bath. Will have a garden and a green house no livestock and no lawn sprinklers. The well tested 50 gpm at 145 feet and the current water level is about 20 feet below grade and I plan to set the pump at 100'. To save money I plan to install the pumping system my self and the well is about 130' from where the equipment will be inside the garage utility room.

I basically need help selecting the pump and the complete system. I do have plumbing skills and some electrical experience but need help selecting all the parts and maybe a few pointers along the way. I would like to use a CSV with a traditional type system and a smaller size diaphragm tank.

Can anyone advise me with this project please? Thanks in advance. Tim

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest deciding on how many GPM you need. I suggest 10, unless that greenhouse is big.

Reach4

Reaction score
Goulds shown as an example, but others will have similar characteristics.

I would be looking at either a 1/2 HP or 3/4 HP. It depends on what the likely level of the water will be. If you put in 1/2 HP and then had the water level drop way down, you would need to adjust your pressure switch to 20/40. But that is very unlikely given your 50 GPM recovery (although that was at a low level).

There are ultrasonic devices that you can put up to to give you a readout of how far down the water surface is. A lower tech but cheaper and more reliable thing is to run some vinyl tubing down with the wire. Blow air from the top and measure how much pressure you can get. That tells you how far down the water is.

160 PSI D2039 poly pipe will be good for the DIY person. What is your frost line? I would use a pitless adapter, even if the neighbors don't. It will protect against freezing. It also lets you put a t-handle tool on the pipe during pulling and lowering so that you don't accidentally drop the stuff down the well. Your pitless would need to be a "throughway" AKA "clearway" AKA "no obstruction" pitless. Mine is the Merrill SMCK, but there are certainly others. Some that weld on allow the convenient trapezoid style hookup.

IMG_4.png

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks