Need help identifying BLFC gpm

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin Craig

Reaction score
Hi all, I am having a small issue. The back of my 5810 SXT has a sticker that says the BLFC is .125 but the valve came programmed to .5 gpm. I contacted the company I ordered from and they said it's actually a .25 gpm system based on the picture I sent them (attached). I have googled my eyes out and I cannot seem to find any flow restrictors labeled "123" as you can see in the picture. Does anyone know what gpm this restricts to?

I suppose I could manually run a brine fill and see how fast it fills a 5 gallon tub to calculate the old fashioned way, but I was hoping the experts could tell me for sure.

One other question, I have my settings all programmed but I was unsure of the salt lb/cuft. This was set to 9 and my understanding is the higher the setting, the more salt that will be used and the softer the water (less PPM) What is a good setting here? I have a 36k unit, family of four, water is only a 10 on the hardness scale. Not sure what other info is relevant.

TIA for your help.

xFS9kNB.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I still have not got an answer why 123 = .125. :)
I suspect it is some kind of floating point thing where the 3 indicates where the decimal place goes.

120 is 1.2 gpm.
350 is 3.5 gpm
500 is 5 gpm
12 is 12.o

But if floating point, why wouldn't it have been 122? Like 12 with the decimal moved left 2 places. OK... how about 123 represents 12*10^-3.
That could let them use 754 for 0.075 gpm....

If 125, somebody might have thought 12.5.

Last edited:

Kevin Craig

Reaction score
Could anyone give some advice on my salt lb/cuft question? I believe I can set it anywhere between 1 and 15. My understanding is 15 will make the water softer but will also use more salt and water during regeneration?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/66-67

Here is a simple article explaining the difference in quality vs. efficiencies.

Settings between 6 and 10 pounds per ft3 are the most common. These amounts will give you a good balance of quality/efficiency. Higher salt settings are used for some commercial applications, lower settings are used by companies that are pushing the limits of efficiency but the quality of softened water can suffer.

Reach4

Reaction score
One other question, I have my settings all programmed but I was unsure of the salt lb/cuft. This was set to 9 and my understanding is the higher the setting, the more salt that will be used and the softer the water (less PPM) What is a good setting here? I have a 36k unit, family of four, water is only a 10 on the hardness scale. Not sure what other info is relevant.
I don't know what a 36k unit is. Is the tank 10x54, or what?

Also, what does 9 mean on your controller? Is that the number of pounds of salt to use (more probable) or the number of pounds of salt to use for each cubic foot of resin?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Does the unit contain 1cuft of resin? 1 cuft usually has 32K total capacity, or does your softener contain a larger quantity of resin and you programmed the usable capacity as 36K grains?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
That BLFC is commonly used on the 5810, 5812, and the old 7000, is that what you have? If so, setting the pounds of salt to 8 pounds per ft3 is a great balance of efficiency/quality.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks