Need help - hot water heater leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Grayson Everett

Grayson Everett
Reaction score
I was casually looking in my basement by the hot water heater and I found leaked water, about 1/4 of a gallon. I don't see it leaking continuously. I have the hot water heater and heating furnace together, not sure if it matters.

Not able to find out where the leak is coming from and how much should be worried?

IMG23012021.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Put a gauge on your hose bib as it could be the T&P discharging.

If it is the pressure the T&P will seep water If it is the temperature the valve will open fully

If your basement has high humidity this also can cause dripping from the heater as cold water is entering the tank as you use HW

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber or a pro. I would put a bucket under the TMP discharge to narrow down the issue. Defiantly important to figure out from where it is leaking, why, and to fix it.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
It could also be that condensate pump for your furnace overflowing.

I go to Penfield (Rochester) a few times a year by the Erie Canal and Lake Ontario and visit Letchworth state park

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
To the original post >> Follow the advice you've already been given.
Put a container under the pipe from the relief valve pipe in your picture to isolate where the water is coming from.
If it is from the relief valve you must have excessive pressure in your system. ( most T&P valves are 150 psi )
The pressure could be from something done outside your home by the water supplier or.... if you have a pressure control valve on your water entry it could be worn out. That's why Sylvan suggested the pressure gauge on a hose bib.
If it is a pressure problem caused by your incoming water ... you need a control valve. If internal possibly an expansion tank.

Attachments

• Pressure gauge.jpg
    Pressure gauge.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 143

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The discharge T&P pipe seems to look very new. Was the heater changed recently? Is there a expansion tank? In January the inlet cold water temperature probably hit its lowest temperature. When the water is heated it has to expand and without an expansion tank, the entire system builds up in pressure. When it gets near 150 PSI (60-80 is normal) the T&P valve opens until the pressure drops after weeping water. I had a house in Saratoga Springs, NY and even during the summer, the T&P would open when using a lot of hot water such as when using the washing machine. Fortunately, the discharge pipe went outdoors. As other have said, place a pail under the pipe.

The condensate pump is a possibility if you have a condensing furnace or it could be just for the A/C.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks