Need Help ASAP regarding pipe coming from wall to shut off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Keep it simple if the ferule on the angle stop fits on the copper the correct size its good. If the ferule wont slide over you gotta cut the copper back farther where it is a true 5/8 " diameter sweat on a coupling

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the copper pipe doesn't protrude to the cut end of the sleeve, I bet that is lead solder and should easily heat and be able to wiggle the sleeve off. A quick test kit or even digging into it with your fingernail would confirm if its 50/50 solder.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the copper pipe doesn't protrude to the cut end of the sleeve, I bet that is lead solder and should easily heat and be able to wiggle the sleeve off. A quick test kit or even digging into it with your fingernail would confirm if its 50/50 solder.
My hypothesis on the situation was that the supply stop originally had like a 3" long slip coupling for the supply connection, prechromed, and you solder it near the wall to an ~2" copper pipe stub. Is that at all plausible, that a product like that exists or existed?

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
My hypothesis on the situation was that the supply stop originally had like a 3" long slip coupling for the supply connection, prechromed, and you solder it near the wall to an ~2" copper pipe stub. Is that at all plausible, that a product like that exists or existed?

Very likely.. I think its likely easily removed and should leave a bit more pipe beyond where its soldered. I've Never actually seen one of these installed.

Reach4

Reaction score
It may be..
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman...ve-with-5-in-Extension-Tube-04182LF/205807843

So as others said, I expect MAPP gas torch heating the end of the sleeve, pliers pulling, and I expect that sleeve will pull right off.

anglestop-extension-5-02.jpg
anglestop-extension-5-01.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I was there. I'd know what it is. this guy needed immediate help, probably called plumber out . its pretty easy stuff unless you've never been around plumbing come on back jbru if you still got questions or let us know what you discovered!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks