Need advice with depth of volume control valves

Users who are viewing this thread

xyzz

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am installing a grohe volume control valve and trim, and from what ive read grohe is notoriously a pain to work with. especially for DIY guys like myself. Ive done several simple showers in the past but i just want to make sure I get this right. I would greatly appreciate any feedback:

The universal rough in you see in the pictures is in the right place, i am sure of that - now Im about to install the volume control valves. The pictures tell the story:

https://imgur.com/a/5pa5Z

thanks in advance for any feedback.

xyzz

Reaction score
I just want to know if the depth of the valves looks good to you guys. Looks like it'll work to me, but wanted a 2nd opinion.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am installing a grohe volume control valve and trim, and from what ive read grohe is notoriously a pain to work with. especially for DIY guys like myself. Ive done several simple showers in the past but i just want to make sure I get this right. I would greatly appreciate any feedback:

The universal rough in you see in the pictures is in the right place, i am sure of that - now Im about to install the volume control valves. The pictures tell the story:

https://imgur.com/a/5pa5Z

thanks in advance for any feedback.

they're telling you that from the front of the valve body to the tip of the spleen, you should have 1" - 2-3/8". It looks like you need to measure from the FRONT of your future wall backwards and then use a backer board to mount the valve body. Your shower if framed with 2x4, so right now it looks like you're going to be a little too deep. So if you're going to green-board this shower (1/2") and tile over top of that (another 1/2"), you need to measure from the future finished wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The manufacturers list the min/max the system will work from the finished wall. You may not like it at either extent and prefer it at a particular point. The best thing to do is to stack up the materials you plan for the wall, attach the trim and handles, and look at it (best if your significant other approves as well!), then ensure the valve body is where you want it. If the valve body is not set to be between those min/max figures, the trim won't be able to fit tight to the wall, or the screws will be too short to mount things, or the handle will not have enough clearance to actually grab or turn. You don't want to be really close to one of those limits in case the stackup ends up a bit different (say, the amount of thinset used varies a bit from your plan or you decide on a different thickness tile at the last moment) as while there may be a fix if it is too deep in the wall with the use of an extender kit (not all offer these), if it sticks out too far, there's not much you can do except move it further back in the wall which may be really hard once the tile is up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks