Need advice on removing and replacing the frost-free spigot

Users who are viewing this thread

huntlylee

Reaction score
Hi, all:

Long story short, I got a split frost-free spigot pipe and I am interested in a DIY job to replace it. At first, I attempted to thread it off with medium-level force but didn't succeed. I searched online and figured out the type of spigot should be the Arrowhead 486 with 1/2" MIP and Copper Sweat inlet. The house is 3-4 years old. The actual connection is shown in the following picture:
IMG_20200406_183733.jpg

So does it look like it was soldered onto something? Can I possibly take it off without a heat gun? Would it be a complex job to replace the broken unit? How much would it typically take to hire a plumber to fix it (Middle TN area)

Thanks in advance from a first-time homeowner.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Forget the heat gun it would be useless and how much a plumber charges depends on

What their over head costs are such as office, insurance , their profit margin if they charge flat rate or T&M and if they charge travel time and how much they pay their employees

There is no fixed fixed price on labor

Reach4

Reaction score
I would use a smaller curved jaw locking pliers, grabbing where the lettering is, and as little of the threaded part of that fitting as practical.
A larger curved-jaw locking pliers would grab the knurled area near the split pipe.
I think this would be better as a two-person operation. The person holding the small pliers would grip the white ring with the other for a little more torque. Similarly, the one with the bigger pliers would hold the remainder of the failed spigot with the other.

From now on remove the hose before the cold weather starts.

channel-lock-pliers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
That looks like a PEX connection. They soldered a male adapter straight into the spigot. You're not going to be able to unthread that because they didn't thread a fitting onto the spigot, that's part of the spigot if someone wants to use a female adapter with it.

You might be able to remove the split side by heating up the copper near the knurled joint. But you run the risk of damaging the pex connection. My recommendation would be to cut the pex and install a new spigot on that.

Reach4

Reaction score
That looks like a PEX connection. They soldered a male adapter straight into the spigot. You're not going to be able to unthread that because they didn't thread a fitting onto the spigot, that's part of the spigot if someone wants to use a female adapter with it.
I had been thinking they used of one of these, but I was wrong, because of no hex.
lf4525050-3.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks