Mystery water in HW catch pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris O'Neill

Reaction score
Hello I currently have a Richmond 40 gal gas water heater that I put in 13 years ago this month
Well water with softener

this morning I woke up and could hear a drip drip drip coming from the utility closet. I had about 2 inches of water in my hot water heater drain pan and water was dripping from the T&P (top of heater with copper tube running down towards pan) I pulled the TMP lever up and then back down and rotated it around a little bit and the drip stopped

I will say I have probably only drained it three or four times in the 13 years and I have never replaced the anode rod. I do not have a thermal expansion tank Should I just go ahead and replace the hot water heater? Need to add the expansion tank?

i’m not exactly sure when the water came out it was cold to the touch so it either happened the evening before or overnight never heard it do it just heard the drip

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Well water with softener
Generally, most well water systems are not closed meaning there should not be any check valve between the HWT and the pressure tank so there should be no need for an expansion tank. I say most as there are a few iron filters that have a check valve integrated. Also, if the softener was installed a short distance from the HWT, a check valve may have been installed to keep hot water from backing up into the softener.

Go buy a pressure gauge with a garden hose thread and screw it to the drain cock on the HWT. Open the drain cock and observe the pressure overnight. The TPR valve should only relieve at around 150 PSI or if the water is too hot.

If the TPR is faulty, then replace it.

Chris O'Neill

Reaction score
Generally, most well water systems are not closed meaning there should not be any check valve between the HWT and the pressure tank so there should be no need for an expansion tank. I say most as there are a few iron filters that have a check valve integrated. Also, if the softener was installed a short distance from the HWT, a check valve may have been installed to keep hot water from backing up into the softener.

Go buy a pressure gauge with a garden hose thread and screw it to the drain cock on the HWT. Open the drain cock and observe the pressure overnight. The TPR valve should only relieve at around 150 PSI or if the water is too hot.

If the TPR is faulty, then replace it.

Thanks I’ll grab one ( ive seen terry post a pic before )

and thanks for clarifying on the expansion tank.. makes sense ..

I figure I’m probably close to EOL on it but I’d really rather spend the money and upgrade to a tankless it’s currently subzero with a foot of snow on the roof so it’s not the best time to convert from metal to pvc vent

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually, with your own well you don't need to add a thermal expansion tank. There are some water treatment things that have a check valve, but most don't. It still won't hurt to get that pressure gauge. They are cheap enough, and they can be useful.

Test your T&P valve. When you operate the lever, water should come out. When you release the lever, water should stop coming out.

I tested my T&P valve a couple months ago, and I found it would not open. I replaced the T&P valve.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Test your T&P valve. When you operate the lever, water should come out. When you release the lever, water should stop coming out.
Sage advice but there is a good chance it won't shut off once activated so you best put yourself in a position to replace it right away.

When I had my last water heater replaced, the installer tried to open the TPR to let air in so the tank would drain faster but it would not open. It had been leaking a tiny amount, not enough to drip, just enough to corrode and build up with limescale.

Reach4

Reaction score
age advice but there is a good chance it won't shut off once activated so you best put yourself in a position to replace it right away.
Depends. It could be that the valve sticks open, but you can force the rod down with your finger. Now you have a little time.

If you cannot force it shut, some people are close enough to the gittin' place that shutting off the WH supply for a bit won't be a problem. Of course you would want to time it to when the store is open, and consider the likelihood that the thing you need is in stock. For others, things are not so available.

I got motivated to test because somebody I know had her basement flooded because the T+P opened on its own, and did not close down.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello I currently have a Richmond 40 gal gas water heater that I put in 13 years ago this month. Well water with softener. This morning I woke up and could hear a drip drip drip coming from the utility closet. I had about 2 inches of water in my hot water heater drain pan and water was dripping from the T&P (top of heater with copper tube running down towards pan) I pulled the TMP lever up and then back down and rotated it around a little bit and the drip stopped. I will say I have probably only drained it three or four times in the 13 years and I have never replaced the anode rod. I do not have a thermal expansion tank Should I just go ahead and replace the hot water heater? Need to add the expansion tank? i’m not exactly sure when the water came out it was cold to the touch so it either happened the evening before or overnight never heard it do it just heard the drip

Since it is gas, yes, well worth replacing it. T&P valves do fail and will weep water. Since it stopped weeping water after you opened it you may have relieved the pressure that builds up during the night. With the extreme cold you well water temperature may have dropped and it now takes more energy to heat and the water expands more than usual. The expansion will increase as the water heats thereby increasing pressure. It will weep or open at 150 PSI. Since you have a well and pressure tank this becomes less likely unless there is a check valve after the pressure tank.
ANother issue, as hinted above, is rust. The T&P will corrode and if rust forms it will expand and causes the valve to weep water. When you open it is flushes out debris or rust and may seal up again.

Chris O'Neill

Reaction score
I ran to menards and picked up a gauge and a replacement t&p valve since they carry Richmond.. I’m going to test the pressure in the am when I get home from the fire station.. but more than likely I will just replace the valve it was like 15 bucks..if it buys me time till warm weather that would be great..I really didn’t want to spend 550 on a new heater now and not be able to upgrade to a tankless i still need to do some homework to see if the tankless is my best option

Chris O'Neill

Reaction score
Pressure in tank 40psi there is some corrosion on the t&p vace.. I did get a new one but this one on the tank sure looks like a female brass t&p valve all the replacement valves I’ve seen are male..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 127

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect your existing T+P valve is male to the tank. To remove the existing one, remove the drain pipe. Turn T&P CCW with a big wrench.

Chris O'Neill

Reaction score
your correct it was male. I just replaced it and fired the heater back up I peeked inside the tank before sticking the new one on.. obviously couldn't see the bottom but the inside was cleaner than I figured it would be. anode rod was about the size diameter of a straw so im thinking its about toast.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks